17 Years without wetting a line

shooting head

Reaction score
Hi folks,
New here and out of touch, fishing has changed so much. You might say; I'm like a fish out water.

Neil's the name, gave up fishing when the kids were not intrested and my fishing mates either moved away or departed to the big waters in the sky.

I have now got more time on my hands and have made a pledge to start up again. It all came about when my Grandson asked if I would take him fishing on day. I could not pass that one by, kids spend enough time in doors these days playing computer games etc.

I have done course fishing since a kid when the old man took us out, got into game fishing on the fly, and did alot of saltwater both from the beach and boat.

Made a lot of my own gear to save on cost, building rods, fly tying, moulding sinkers to name a few.
Over this winter I hope to sort out the Grandson with a starter kit and develope an intrest for 2014.

I think I have to sort my self out as well, took a walk to the cupboard where I keep all my tackle. Oh dear, the moths have been a work, nets full of holes, my 50 year old creel my Farther had made for is a pile of dust, woodworm got at it along with some of my home made floats. It looks like I've got my work cut out.

Neil

AKA:shooting head.

Windy

Reaction score
Hello, welcome and perhaps give us a hint as to where you are geographically ?

If you are near to me here in super Surrey I'd be happy to lend you some spare tackle and a float or two to get your water legs back, possibly update you on what's gone on in the fishing world over the last 17.

I certainly had a shock when I came back to coarse fishing after 20 odd years away. A lot has changed, some hasn't, not all for the good, but not all bad either.

If you're nowhere near me you're liable to be close to someone else equally helpful if not better v for m than me !

Good luck anyways :thumbs:

shooting head

Reaction score
Thanx for welcome Guys.
Yes I'm going to have to spend the Beer tokens on some gear over the winter.
The pistol drill and glue will have to come out again to knock up a few asorted floats (once I have found a supplier for bulsa wood and other bits near by.

My location is Birmingham West Midlands, once I found my way around this site I will update the profile.:confused:

Neil