Well meant xmas gifts!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How many of you have ever received a fishing related present for Christmas (or Birthday for that matter) by a well meaning wife/mum&dad/relative/friend/girlfriend that as ether not been what you wanted/needed, not fit for purpose or just of very poor quality and/or just plain gimmicky? OR, have you ever received something that you have allways wanted like a very expensive rod/reel and have been totally surprised with what you have been given?

Come on fellas, don't be shy, it is Christmas after all!!

Last edited:

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Over the years lots of things from **** mugs / awful socks with an angler on/
hankies with fish emblems etc etc .
Have had some great books though and a wellie bag which I still use now, my family know now to buy non fishing related stuff for me !!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yes, I wanted one of these so that I could scan all my old slides -

APLUSSC105265082.jpg

My son bought me a Maplin job that is really quite *****. However, it has made me wonder if I really want to scan all my early slides, for what purpose I now ask. The kids aren't interested in anything taken of them. It's like the wedding album that I always refer to as the Joke Book, we never look at it and we do NOT have a picture of me and 'er in a frame anywhere. It would just bring tears to my eyes everytime I saw it.... ;)

B

binka

I received a pen rod and looked down my nose at it to begin with, took it on the Cromford Canal one morning as we walked the dog and couldn't believe the fun I had with really small jacks on a tiny Mepps.

Couldn't put it down after that!

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
My brother surprised me last year with a Carbonactive feeder rod and a nice Daiwa reel to go with it...

Otherwise, I tend not to get fishing tackle for presents. I like vintage fishing-related bits and pieces, though (posters, tin signs, etc) and I have received a few of those for the wall of the shed.

This year, I have been dropping hints to the girlfriend about a Daiwa float rod. She has been asking me how much salmon fly rods cost, though, so I think she may have taken me up wrong....

Oh, it's my first post, btw, but I'm a long-time lurker, so I feel I know a lot of you already. :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I supply a list of fishing related present requirement giving price, brand, exact name of item and instructions not to vary from those

but I've had the socks, mugs, wall hangings ect :mad:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Had some of those gel type handwarmers which worked a treat, couldnt understand why there were 3 in the packet though, didnt know where the third was meant to go.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brother surprised me last year with a Carbonactive feeder rod and a nice Daiwa reel to go with it...

Otherwise, I tend not to get fishing tackle for presents. I like vintage fishing-related bits and pieces, though (posters, tin signs, etc) and I have received a few of those for the wall of the shed.

This year, I have been dropping hints to the girlfriend about a Daiwa float rod. She has been asking me how much salmon fly rods cost, though, so I think she may have taken me up wrong....

Oh, it's my first post, btw, but I'm a long-time lurker, so I feel I know a lot of you already. :)

At least you got a nice rod ( I love my prestons!) and not a **** dragon carp jobby!! ;)

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

I once had a key ring bought me....allways did wonder why a keyring would have gone fishing written on it, when I already know that I've gone fishing!!!!

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

I once had a key ring bought me....allways did wonder why a keyring would have gone fishing written on it, when I already know that I've gone fishing!!!!

terry m

Reaction score
I was given a Shakespeare 13ft Match Rod back in the early/mod 70's.

It was dreadful, heavy, unwieldy and the 'layered' cork handle started to split and peel away. I was gutted. I never knowingly bought anything from Shakespeare from that day on.