Loose 'center' on my center pin reel

broomy

Reaction score
For the second time in a few weeks the center pin on my Greys Bewick has come loose.
It screws into the back plate.
Initially I wound tape around the pin and tightened it with a small stilson.
Its loose again anyone got a suggestion as to how to secure.
Its a steel threaded pin into what looks like an alloy thread on the back plate.
Can I use threadlock, if so what type.

xenon

Reaction score
given that it's not supposed to do that, send it back to the makers for repair?
A bodge repair might be a few wraps of PTFE tape.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did a temporary repair to a grub screw which holds the foot onto one of my centrepins with a drop of superglue, that was about ten years ago. I'm hoping I never have to take it out again as it is fixed solid.
If you do decide to use it degrease the threads, tighten the post into its thread, back it off an 1/8th of a turn, apply the glue and tighten quickly, you won't get a second chance.

broomy

Reaction score
With Christmas coming up think it will end up going back to Greys but in the new year.
This was an ebay buy, if I had got it from my local shop it would have been returned.
Something to think about when making an ebay purchase, but it was £60 below list and brand new.
A good reel incredibly light and spins forever, but its unreliable. Well this one is.

terry m

Reaction score
I advise caution on the Loctite solution unless you can confirm that the compound is suitable for the two specific materials you are trying to bond.

Loctite comes in a myriad of formulae, some of them will be nigh on impossible to shift at a later date if dismantling for servicing is required.