My Fish List

georgem18

Reaction score
Now Then,

To put it bluntly i have a very short attention span... well not really i just cant only fish one water or one method, therefore rather than going after one species and "waitin for a bigun to come along" my plan is to try and catch as many of the countrys fish species as i can, to that degree i've come up with a list.

Alot of people go on and on about personal bests and thats fine, when i rack up a few more ticks on my list i'll look into that, but at the moment i'm going to try and catch as many different fish i can for some reason this intrests me more than weights :confused:

my question is this:
Can you think of any i've missed, or any you feel i should ignore from the list i've compiled below?

[FRESHWATER]

Barbel
Bleak
Bronze/Common Bream
Silver Bream
Common Carp
Chub
Crucian Carp
Dace
Eel
Gudgeon
Perch
Pike
Roach
Rudd
Tench
Wells Catfish
Zander
Orfe
Minnow
Greyling
Mirror Carp
Grass Carp
3-Spined Stickleback
Bullhead
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Salmon
Arctic Char

[SALTWATER]

Wrasse
Bass
Blonde Ray
Cod
Common Skate
Conger
Dab
Plaice
Thick Lipped Mullet
Thin Lipped Mullet
Thornback Ray
Tope
Smooth Hound
Spurdog
Dover Sole
Lemon Sole
Whiting
Pollack
Flounder
Bull Huss
Ling
Black Bream
Tub Gurndard
Pouting
Scad
Mackerel
Shore Rockling
Garfish

Thanks For The Help
George.

Ps, Note i have allready caught some of the fish on this list, i'm not that useless, and yes i do have alot of fishing tackle (dont we all) :D

B

binka

Prussian Carp
Leather Carp

Good luck with it, I've set out to do 22 freshawater species this calendar year and am stuck on 19... takes some doing.

Edited to add: Ide

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Brown goldfish. Most "crucian carp" these days are really goldfish anyway..infact i cant remember the last real crucian i caught..

Edit Binka beat me too it - Prussian carp are the same thing

georgem18

Reaction score
I think Im going to leave out some of the rarer species for now, Powan as far as i know are only found in a few lochs in scotland, pollan few places in ireland but i havent given myself a time limit on completing this list and i dont intend to so theres no rush, its all for fun after all.

plus i cant fish on weights because i dont have any scales YAY

rubio

Reaction score
Nice problem to set me remembering the observer book of sea fishes I read intently many many years since. Without reference to it now I still came up with a few obscure and generally unlikely species to target.
"Impossibles" would include Opah and Sunfish. Lots of deep water species that are very possible but might take an unfeasible effort to acquire such as Witch and Megrim. More readily targeted are Gilthead and maybe Ray's Bream. Certainly Red Gurnard, and a host of blennies which would demand scrutinous identification. Golden Grey Mullet. Red Mullet?
Triggerfish. Pipefish(I have actually caught one on purpose in the local dock), Pogge, Poor cod and don't be too dismissive of "shore" rockling. How many beards has it got?
Also not too sure myself but Stone Loach may be different species from Loach. Spiny ones exist too i think. Miller's Thumb is also called something else. Did ya have Ruffe already?
Here's to ya buddy, I hope you catch each and everyone of 'em.

As a complete aside I would just like to reassure all that the Chavster whilst fully aware of the 'poaching' potential for our local wild trout would never consider them a viable target in tidal stretches without first investing in a full migratory licence. The very thought of it...........

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

And bloody Dogfish! How did I forget them

georgem18

Reaction score
Its probably worth me pointing out it is MY list, as in a list i think viable,
its not just a random list of every fish type creature in the knows universe, i dont imagine it'd be much fun trying to catch fish from the fish tank in the pet shop as they are technicly probably easyer to find than the 1 fish in a very remote loch in scotland that can only be accessed by paying a small underfed donkey in raisins to carry me 13.2 miles before shedding its skin turning into a bird and taking a dump containing strawberry flavoured pellets i can use as bait...

i was just wondering if anyone could think of any obvious ones i'd missed

your right about the shore rockling though, thats just what most sea fisherman call them all, but its in the freezer so i'll go beard counting later

i think i've gone slightly mad :eek:mg:

Last edited:
B

binka

I reckon you should include a few of these, one of our local parks opened it's gates (officially!) to anglers for the first time this season and there are a lot of overgrown bowl refugees swimming about in there along with the roach, tench chub etc., I lost a huge fantail there too.

Excuse the chopped worm fingers...

IMG00385-20120612-1942.jpg

And the Prussian (I think?)...

IMG00715-20121024-1054.jpg

Last edited: