drink/food for winter fishing

B

Berty

Flask of soup (pea and ham is the soup of the moment) and a ginsters, with orange juice for a thirst squencher......oh and some form of chocolate.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I don`t tend to fish much in the winter but on the rare occasions I do go I just take a flask of coffee and a couple of bars of chocolate.

B

Berty

Mine was for a short (under 8hr) session..........how do some of you function in the cold??????

B

binka

I don't tend to eat when i'm fishing no matter how long i'm there (might have a nibble of the bait if i'm using meat) but recently with the cold weather i've taken to putting a pack of digestives in the bag and dunking 'em in me tea to scoff while they're piping hot... as good as getting a hot meal on the bank and stays in you a bit longer than a straight hot drink.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to eat and drink regularly when fishing, especially in the winter.

So, for me it is a wide mouth flask with some form of stew or casserole with some sandwiches (sausage, cheese and pickle) alternatively I'll put minestrone soup in the flask and add a couple of just cooked breakfast sausages.

My flask is usually coffee as I hate the taste of 'stewed' tea, but if allowed then its the Kelly Kettle every time for a fresh brew when things get really cold or slow.

Larry Teepot1

Reaction score
always have a cafe breakfast ......and just some dextrose in case i go a bit low on the suger

B

binka

and just some dextrose in case i go a bit low on the suger

Aw don't remind me... I was waiting for a prescription the other week and noticed Dextrose (or similar) and being the sweet toothed git I am I brought a pack and scoffed the lot in one go!

I swear I still had the shakes next morning!

terry m

Reaction score
A flask of hot black coffee does the trick for me.

I enjoy soups, but for some reason I have never quite got into them whilst fishing. I did discover the 'wonders' of Pot Noodles during the summer and was pleasantly surprised, has anyone tried making them with hot water from a flask rather than boiled from a kettle?

Reaction score
Got one of those aladdin thermos flasks on the strength of PJ's recommendation, amongst others. Absolutely brilliant.Fill it up with boiling water and it does stay hot all day. Little container with tea/coffee and a small bottle for milk. Chocolate bar/biccies/apple or banana. Sorted. Yes it is heavier than a standard flask but I use it as a way of disciplining myself in terms limiting tackle I take. In winter I ain't going to need the bucket loads of bait I sometimes take...so keep the warmth and trim back the bait.

B

binka

A flask of hot black coffee does the trick for me.

I did discover the 'wonders' of Pot Noodles during the summer and was pleasantly surprised, has anyone tried making them with hot water from a flask rather than boiled from a kettle?

There speaketh the man of the iron stomach!

Yep I tried them along with the pot mash thingies, to be fair I was having a lot of stomach problems at the time and these things tasted great and then totally fried my insides, within a couple of hours I would be writhing.

A great idea in principal, and if you've got the stomach :cool:

The Sogster

Reaction score
I like a nice flask of spiced chai in winter. Can't beat the taste of ginger and cardamom.

Make your own chai blend and add it to your tea. Mine is approx:

4 oz powdered ginger
1 oz cloves
1.5 to 2 oz black peppercorns
1/2 to 3/4 oz cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg crushed
1 1/2 oz Green cardamom pods

This lasts ages and is really warming.

terry m

Reaction score
There speaketh the man of the iron stomach!

Yep I tried them along with the pot mash thingies, to be fair I was having a lot of stomach problems at the time and these things tasted great and then totally fried my insides, within a couple of hours I would be writhing.

A great idea in principal, and if you've got the stomach :cool:

I do have a strong constitution, but to be truthful I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them as I am not normally a fan of junk food!!

aebitim

Reaction score
I have to eat and drink regularly when fishing, especially in the winter.

So, for me it is a wide mouth flask with some form of stew or casserole with some sandwiches (sausage, cheese and pickle) alternatively I'll put minestrone soup in the flask and add a couple of just cooked breakfast sausages.

My flask is usually coffee as I hate the taste of 'stewed' tea, but if allowed then its the Kelly Kettle every time for a fresh brew when things get really cold or slow.

I also take my storm kettle, brew up by the van if not allowed to use it on the bank, mine is a Steve Eyden one 13 this year and still going strong. Makes a great handwarmer as well.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

surreymac

Reaction score
Can't beat sitting on the riverside & firing up the Kelly kettle pouring the boiling hot water over a Yorkshire gold tea bag followed by a crusty roll with some big soup & a lump of bread pudding