which camera?

gerry h

Reaction score
hello chaps ,has anyone got any info onwhat is available for those moments when you need to self take pictures, i have been using the timer on my camera phone but would prefer something a bit easier to useinstead of a mad scramble back to grab the prized capture as the seconds tick away ,or asking frogs (french)to take them for me in frenglish as one did the other day with a PB chub 7lb 1oz

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Something with a rotating view finder gerry?.......i have a Cannon G6, which is prob old hat now on the digi tarts scale but it still does the trick.

But my real reason for coming on to your thread is pure self interest!....tell me about French rivers and 7lb chub!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

the barrage at Cazeres would do me .......only 220 miles from Bilbao

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Paul's G6was probably the ultimate camera for self takes. Both Graham and myself have had one in the past.

I don't think the G9 has the swivel around viewer but I could be wrong.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You have a very special camera there Brummie. The G6 was a classic.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way Christian, on the G9,what is the time lag like from pushing the shutter button to the shutter firing?

How many shots canyou take in 1 second?

How accurate is the eye level viewfinder?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Hi Ron, battery is on charge so will check tomorrow. Haven't tried any continuous shooting yet.

No idea about the viewfinder but I don't like it. It doesn't sit well on the eye and you don't seem to be able to see everything which ends up in the photo.

gerry h

Reaction score
thanks for the input so far chaps,the rotating view finder sounds just the thing,

and a big well done to sherlock cakester for theguess the venue (educatedone i think)well what can i say ,i spend a bit of time here and the french arent really bothered about chub orfishing rivers especially one thats up and down like a yoyo,and it stops me sitting in my hotel room banging my head on the wall like a romanian orphan

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think that eye level viewfinders are very limited on what are called compact cameras. That's why we ultimately gravitate to dSLRs.

Even the entry level dSLRs have a viewfinder performance in excess of 95% whereas the top models like the D3 and D300 have virtually 100%.

What used to pee me off on all the compacts I have ever used is the time lag on the shutter. I hope the camera manufacturers are listening when I say that this is one of the worst faults in modern compact digital cameras.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thanks very much Cakey. This info is vital for people in the market for a new digital compact camera. As can be seen the Sony cameras are the best with the Canon D9 amongst the worst.

Angling photography like any other branch of sports photography, demands split second reactions on the part of the photographer and only the dSLRis suitable forthis, as well as the fact that the viewfinder is far superior.

Also consider the write speed and capability of the sensor when set at high ISO speeds. Many low cost compacts and even dSLRs are as noisy as hell at ISO settings in excess of 400.A major feature of the D300 is it's ability of giving very acceptable images at 3200 ISO. This means you can use quite modest F/4 and higher lenses for low light and high speed photography, thus enabling you to equal the performance of expensive large aperturelenses.

For those who can afford it, the ownership of D300 or equivalent cameras opens up a tremendous vista of creative photographythat you are not going to get from even the best compacts.

Trophy shots don't really matter of course.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And by the look of it, the Sony compacts are well worth looking at. They also have Carl Zeiss optics.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I have a Sony N2 (Carl Zeiss optics)as my 'holiday' camera, its very very good.I used itthe other week under water after completing my PADI course in Egypt.......

Click pic for full size.

Me at 60 feet down......
DSC01457.jpg

training.......
DSC01265.jpg

Turtle we found on the reefs up in Tiran......
DSC01419.jpg

A wreck on one of the reefs
DSC01426.jpg

My girlfriend practising neutral buoyancy.......
DSC01406.jpg

And if you look close you can see a Stone Fish.....
DSC01482.jpg

And a short video linki did at dive site 'Middle Garden'

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/breamslime/?action=view&current=MOV01443.flv

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Did a bit of that Wol off Durban when I was a good deal younger.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way I'm not taken in by one of the features of the Sony W300. You have to smile to make the shutter fire!

This will not do for carp anglers of course who have to look bored all the time. Street Cred is vital with carp anglers!