Braid for Long Distance Deadbaiting.

terry m

Reaction score
The pit I am currently fishing requires some reasonably long distance work - 80+ yards - with deadbaits. Earlier in the season I would land about 70% of runs, mainly due to mono stretch and failing to set hooks at distance.

I have recently switched two of the three rods to Fox Gravitron sinking braid, it casts like a dream (as long as you wet it first) but better still I have not failed to land a single run, the nil stretch is just fantastic, the hooks are set more positively, the contact with the fighting fish is so much better.

If you are losing, or missing runs at distance consider braid, it just may change your fishing !!

agamemnon

Reaction score
i used to fish braid as main line the only reason i stopped was the lack of spare cash to fill my spools. given a choice id use braid for distance fishing every time

graham472

Reaction score
80 yds+ is some distance Terry.Is that casting or boating out?.Agree that braid is great for playing fish,but you need to watch the clutch tension.
I seem to find that the distance cast is less with braid than mono.Maybe not as smooth going through the rings!.Maybe my braid(power pro).

terry m

Reaction score
80+ yards is achievable with large frozen deads (tied on at the shank of the top treble), 3lb NGs(50mm Buttrings) and XTEA10Ks with 25lb Gravitron - I don't own a bait boat! But the braid must be wetted through beforehand otherwise the cast is hampered.

fishingjack

Reaction score
The pit I am currently fishing requires some reasonably long distance work - 80+ yards - with deadbaits. Earlier in the season I would land about 70% of runs, mainly due to mono stretch and failing to set hooks at distance.

I have recently switched two of the three rods to Fox Gravitron sinking braid, it casts like a dream (as long as you wet it first) but better still I have not failed to land a single run, the nil stretch is just fantastic, the hooks are set more positively, the contact with the fighting fish is so much better.

If you are losing, or missing runs at distance consider braid, it just may change your fishing !!

If you like mono I suppose flurocarbon could be an option it has some stretch but not as much as mono and it'll sink much faster if you feel that's important. Dirt cheap now to in some places.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had some very good results drift float fishing with whiplash braid floats well even not greased the only restriction is wind but boy can you cover some water even in a light wind.

graham472

Reaction score
I would give flurocarbon main lines for pike fishing a wide berth.In principle they sound fantastic but in use they they have proved very unreliable in my experience.Seem very brittle compared to mono,break well under stated b/s and suddenly.I used one of the more expensive fluros(x line).Gone back to powerpro braid and big game mono_Only my opinion of course.Leave fluros to the carp anglers.

markdj

Reaction score
i prefer floating braid for my deadbaiting..i use berkley big game pro in green

i have 80lb and 30lb, i prefer floating, so i can rig up a drifter, or a free roving livey(dont really livebait often though) if static deads aint working

also, when i pike takes the bait, i dont have to pluck the line from weeds/silt etc

it doesnt matter that it floats, because we tighten down to the leads anyway, which sinks the braid

mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been using powerpro braid for years and it is just the most amazing stuff, that good I'am thinking of using it for my general feeder and barbel fishing this season. I know it is expensive but if you buy the bigger spools (275 yrd) and put some cheap mono on your spools as backing it works out good value, especially when it lasts well over two or three seasons if looked after...I have had it on some of my spinning reels for 5 years (Had a break from fishing in between) good kit and well worth the outlay IMO!