New Design Blockend Feeder from Drennan

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

They should have done one in 5 oz or so for the Trent.

It will be interesting to see how they perform on a big river.

I

Ian Cloke

I agree with you guys, these feeders don't look like they could not hold bottom in a proper river!

Maggie

Reaction score
They look like theymayslide up on top of a silty bottom though (No rude remarks Monk /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif) on a silty stillwater.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Graham said

'and the force of the flow over the streamlined end keeps the feeder in place. '

perhaps this will reduce the weight needed. How many of you have seen the Dipper feeding using the current to hold them down.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thats why it would be nice to see how it could handle the Tidal Trent in a full autumn or winter flood.

I hope that Drennan have donw their tests on a proper river, not the Thames or Ouse trickles.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Looks like you may be able to add dead cows if need be. I saw some of these last week in Walkers of Trowell and they look bang on for hemp/ 3 mm pellets or maggot/ caster work.

The fact that the swivel is so small may cause issues with bolt rigs as i normally push a tail rubber over my hooklength swivel and then gently push the feeder swivel over the tail rubber making it semi-fixed (nothing new, believe Jan Porter invented it?)

Other than that they look bang on!!!! Got to agree though, a 4-5oz feeder would be good for a proper mans river like the Trent!

Reaction score
u mean they still make tackle for rivers? wish my shop would stock them,its all puddle and pole tackle or carp and more carp!/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Richard, it's the pressure on the line that is the mainforce taht would pullafeeder out of position, not the pressure on the feeder itself. The shape of the feeder and how if grips the river or lake bed has some bearing, but not that much.

I really like the look of these feeders for all sorts of fishing, especially tench and roach fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"on a proper river, not the Thames or Ouse trickles"

Oh dear - Nurse - testosterone overdose!!!!!!

"a 4-5oz feeder would be good for a proper mans river like the Trent!"

Might be a good idea for uptide boatcasting too offshore of Skeggy?

Why is it that seemingly bright threads suddely turn into the worn-out North versus South twaddle?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There arethree functions thatinfluence the maintainance of a feeders position in the current.

1: The weight of the feeder

2: The force of the current on the line*

3: The shape of the feeder.

*The force of the current on the line isa function of the line diameter, the velocity of the waterandits depth. double the line diameter and you will increase the drag on the line by 4.

The shape of the feeder will influence any downward forces that will help to keep the feeder in place.

So you see we are involved with a whole complex lot of values that come into the design of the perfect feeder.

I think a little calculus is involved in the design, but we would need to know forces and dimensionsinvolved.

Reaction score
lol, thats the sort of half arsed planning and attitude i tend to go with too monty! prob the reason i blank so much!/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ron........just chat to the Severn anglers, we have done it for years!!!!!!

anyone would think you Trent lads had just invented deadcow fishing!!

I hope this feeder is stronger than the other Drennan or it ain't up to the job fullstop!!!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Ron, you forgot the angle of the line has a bearing too!

Paul, these new feeders look like they'll fall lead first so I imagine they shouldn't break anywhere near as easily as the old ones.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Yeah you tell em Paul, deadcow's, sheep, coffin's we've fish for all of them, bloody norvener's /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif, don't keep on, we know it's rock ard up north and it can't be that bad or you'd move down here were the fish jump on the bank.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I'll give em a try Matt, a feeder to survive more than 1 or 2 heavy sessions on the Severn has to be a lot beefier than the other Drennan feeders.........i have only fished the Trent a few times so i can't really comment about there....but i do love Drennan gear as a whole.

Jeff...........save me a few of those plastic flagons, lead em up and they are great feeders! i will name em dead Jeffs!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The only test is to use it and on the basis that Drennan stuff is pretty sound then it probably will have an advantage, how much remains to be seen.

There is very little flow on the bed of the river (including the Trent) but what bit there is will influence the feeders ability to remain staticbut the main influence will be the current on the line as stated previously. Give it a bit of slack line and a 2oz feeder will hold bottom on the majority of rivers,fish it slightly upstream with a slack line and it will probably be too heavy.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Nah Graham.....they have to bang on 6oz of lead and use 3lb tc rods nowadays.

What do old Severn anglers know eh? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif