the river cole birmingham

martin crabtree

Reaction score
just something ive always wondered. u know when u get rivers such as the cole in birmingham that rnt reli fished or owned by clubs, what is the actual rule on fishing them. never been inspired 2 fish it but always wondered about it.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
go to the local councle and ask the question ,it might sound like to simple an answer but we have a little river in Redditch and parts are compleatly club / day tickrit free as long as you have an EA licentce it could be all you need

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Same rules that apply to all rivers Martin but to my knowledge no one has the rights to the Cole. If you go to the Cole aound Kingshurst up to the Tame confluence there are chub and roach in there for sure, I know, I have caught some in the early 90's and its free fishing. Just have a thought for where you leave your car though they are a thieving lot round there.

martin crabtree

Reaction score
yes there are some nice fish in there since the river has been alot cleaner in recent years they will hopefully be spawning each year aswell, i hav noticed the shoals of chub and roach steadily growing over the years and it has always made me wonder as to what was the law on the fishing rights.

cheers 4 the responses

Iain Riley

Reaction score
pick you swims and start a bit of prebaiting just once or twice a week it will pay you a divie come first day good luck Graham the little rivers in the midlands are cleaning up loverly over the last ten years.

There our little gold mines /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifplus no one in there right mind would want to eat a chub so as the bigger waters suffer with birds and other things our fish stocks grow while there's depleat and it's free box of worms slug or two and your well away,i hope it's as much fun for you as my little river is for me.

paul nugent

Reaction score
hi all i just wanted to say that ive fished on the river cole birmingham since i was about 8 years old im now 24 and im still catching amazing fish chub,perch,roach,carp,pike,tench even massive trout my personal best from this river is 15lb common carp cought near the ackers in tysley but i have seen bigger you just have too look to find em it isnt really hard lol it has become a lovely little river since then and to this day i enjoy not only the fishing but the excitement and pleasure of making my way through bushes and nettles getting stung is well worth it justfor the chance offinding the places where the fish are hiding even small fish will give a good fight and i actually prefer it to any lake or canal i have fished allthou the grand union is 1 mint canal 17lb common carp cought by me last year /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif gorgous.. i would recomend anyone to have a day out fishing the river cole youll eada love it or hate it and tbh ive never bin asked for a licence in all the time ive fished it so i dont bother and best baits are in my oppinion worm maggot bread and for chub use woodlice they work a charm anyways everybody be good and if you do try the river good luck tight lines

Deanos

Reaction score
A nice helpful post Paul, your love of the venue is very apparent.

tight lines mate.

newbieneil

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the stretch of the cole that runs under the road between coleshill police station and bacons end island/chester road?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Is that near Water Orton?

Ive not fished it myself, but you have the wonderful Blythe in Coleshill as im sure you know, i always thought the Cole got worse as it got nearer to Brum, this was years ago tho, might be alot better out where you mean.

The stretch Paul mentions, near the Ackers trust is in Small heath, not a place for the feint of heart, its as rough as you want down there... and only 2 miles from the city centre also, if i was gonna go fish that stretch i'd go with 3rd rate rods and reels, did i say it was rough that way?

mark edmunds

Reaction score
hello everyone , ime new on here, iwas wondering if n e 1 cud help me with sum grayling fishing on the river teme ie best areas best baits an so on thanx /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Shitfisherman

Reaction score
hi all i just wanted to say that ive fished on the river cole birmingham since i was about 8 years old im now 24 and im still catching amazing fish chub,perch,roach,carp,pike,tench even massive trout my personal best from this river is 15lb common carp cought near the ackers in tysley but i have seen bigger you just have too look to find em it isnt really hard lol it has become a lovely little river since then and to this day i enjoy not only the fishing but the excitement and pleasure of making my way through bushes and nettles getting stung is well worth it justfor the chance offinding the places where the fish are hiding even small fish will give a good fight and i actually prefer it to any lake or canal i have fished allthou the grand union is 1 mint canal 17lb common carp cought by me last year /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif gorgous.. i would recomend anyone to have a day out fishing the river cole youll eada love it or hate it and tbh ive never bin asked for a licence in all the time ive fished it so i dont bother and best baits are in my oppinion worm maggot bread and for chub use woodlice they work a charm anyways everybody be good and if you do try the river good luck tight line

Shitfisherman

Reaction score
I know I am years late to this conversation but if you don’t mind me asking where abouts on the river did you see the pike

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Not only are you years late, some of those contributors are also late.

Probably be better to just start a new thread as most of those posters don't post anymore.