I'm after a new camera

Craig Hunt

Reaction score
Ok, I'm no David Bailey, but I'm after a new camera that a) uses RAW format and b) has a vari-angle LCD (i.e. swings round 180 degrees) for taking photos of oneself, in case I catch a fish http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I'm trying to steer clear of an DSLR because of size, and at the moment I am looking at the Panasonic FZ200, and the Canon SX50.
I'm getting bored of reading reviews that contradict one another, so any advice would be good

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I asked the same question here a couple of years ago and was put onto the Canon G11 they are a very high quality compact, it has an articulating screen, shoots in RAW if you want it to, and does almost everything a DSLR will do without the bulk or weight. Plus you can pick up a radio remote from e bay or Amazon for less than a score. There is now a G12 model, but it is very little different to the G11, they tend to be used by Pro's as a back up camera.

laguna

Reaction score
I can appreciate the usefulness of a variable-angle monitor for self portrait shots like this (setting oneself up for the trophy shot as it were) but how is weight an issue if they are tripod mounted, unless you mean from carrying it around?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I can appreciate the usefulness of a variable-angle monitor for self portrait shots like this (setting oneself up for the trophy shot as it were) but how is weight an issue if they are tripod mounted, unless you mean from carrying it around?

Yes, carrying it around; heavy bulky DSLR body, extra lenses, seperate padded bag to keep it all in. Not too much of a problem when fishing statically but a right pain when roving or if you have to lug it any distance.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I asked the same question here a couple of years ago and was put onto the Canon G11 they are a very high quality compact, it has an articulating screen, shoots in RAW if you want it to, and does almost everything a DSLR will do without the bulk or weight. Plus you can pick up a radio remote from e bay or Amazon for less than a score. There is now a G12 model, but it is very little different to the G11, they tend to be used by Pro's as a back up camera.

As Ray says, when I saw the description I got the impression that you must have had the G11/12 in mind when you wrote it.