Going retro!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right then,
If the tackle companies decided that they would bring '' Retro'' gear on to the market, ie, ABU 55s and Mitchell 300s would any of you consider buying it and why?

I myself would love a brand new 55 for barbel fishing...just something to remind me of my former years!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nope, as posted in the past I've got a couple of my original 55's and 300's somewhere in the loft where they belong;)
Jerry

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the price would be to high for there to be a big enough market to make re tooling worth it WHEN THE 55 first came on the market I think it was 76 they were about £39 a go from memory god knows what they would cost new today.

B

binka

Daft thing really but I have a Wychwood pocketed long waistcoat, the non-fly type which I brought from Lanes in Coventry many many years ago but try getting anything similar now of a decent quality?

I regularly call back in and ask, the girl on the clothing always says how many people come in and ask her for the same thing but to no avail.

I recently brought another waistcoat (not Whychwood), it was the nearest and most suitable I could find from Ebay for my pike fishing but what a flimsy, sorry state of affairs it is compared to the Wychwood, I think someone's missing a trick there.

georgem18

Reaction score
probably not, old tackle is old tackle old, technologys moved on a great deal and for the amount of modern, quality gear to buy backdated tackle seems slightly pointless, there could be a romantic reason for using old tackle i have a old conoflex cod 5 beachcaster and sea streak reel both late 60's early 70's, and its fun to use but i wouldent pick it over my modern beachcaster if i could only have one, and i certainly wouldent have them if i had to pay new prices for them (even though beach setups arent exactly the most complicated items in the world anyway).

Even rods from 10-15 years ago are starting to feel slightly old in, my opinion my diawa whisker fly rods weigh a ton compared to the equivalent fly rod from the past couple of years :(

Id rather use the best tool for the job, and due to the evolution of man and our eagerness to improve chances are that tool isnt that old, man changes as do the fish and the size of the fish they need to control :)

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daft thing really but I have a Wychwood pocketed long waistcoat, the non-fly type which I brought from Lanes in Coventry many many years ago but try getting anything similar now of a decent quality?

I regularly call back in and ask, the girl on the clothing always says how many people come in and ask her for the same thing but to no avail.

I recently brought another waistcoat (not Whychwood), it was the nearest and most suitable I could find from Ebay for my pike fishing but what a flimsy, sorry state of affairs it is compared to the Wychwood, I think someone's missing a trick there.

I absolutely love Wychwood gear. I always bought their fly fishing clothing and luggage and have bought carp based clothing in the last couple of seasons and the quality is outstanding for the price, I cant understand why some folk slag the company off, it is far better than some of the so called ''premium'' gear out there! ;)

Philip

Reaction score
Original JRC canvas seat. It was one of the first on the market of that type...fold up and with 4 adjustable legs and although far less practical than modern seats (the canvas soaked up water for example) there was something just right about it and I am quite sure I would still be using it today had I not stupidly tied it to my umbrella on a windy day and then watched it fly off into the middle of the river when I got up for a pee....

How about this one...Woolworth starter kits ! ...the 6 foot black rod and reel that came with shot floats, hooks and all the bits and pieces in a blister pack....totally awful but I would love to see both Woolworths and them back...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Woolworth's, yes; Winfield tackle - in a heartbeat! Great value gear, that was, sourced by the right people; but those starter kits! No, No, a great, despairing , slo-mo NO-O-O-O-O! I remember mine with horror, and wouldn't want to inflict one on any child.
When you're little, you crave reach, and a £1, 8' whip from Poundland would be a far better option.

Now , if that nice Mr Zhu could be persuaded to knock out split cane tip sections in a few standard tapers for reviving old and sadly shortened bottom and Nottingham-style rods, there might be quite a market... especially if he could use a uniquely coloured glue, or some other branding so his tips don't get flogged on as original.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Oh, and if Stout Cortesi could see his way clear to a £30 "homage" to the TrudexII...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'd love an old-fashioned knotted string keep net like I used to have that stunk of linseed oil. The smell that came out of the fishing wardrobe when I opened the door just shouted - GO FISHING! No amount of soaking or other fishy smells could ever remove it. I wouldn't use it of course, just keep it in the cupboard now to remind me of happy days gone by.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No thanks. Whilst I'd appreciate going back to the quality standards of some of the old kit, I'd rather see such standards in modern designs with modern materials. Thirty years ago I'd have loved a Mitchell 300. Just ten years later I'd not have thanked you for one. Slightly different story with the Abu, the quality is there, and probably exceeds much of what's available now. However, the design is somewhat lacking and I wouldn't actually use a new one if it were available. The sad fact is that I suspect that if they did remake something like the Cardinal 55, they'd substitute the quality engineering and decent materials in pursuit of a greater profit. You'd be left with neither a quality item nor a good modern design. That would render the whole thing utterly pointless.

terry m

Reaction score
I had a pair of Mk IV G B&W Carp Rods back in the 70's, I would possibly buy another pair (keep looking at e-bay)but I am not prepared to pay idioic money. They were good, but not that good.

Generally old kit is for collectors and nostalgia - IMO.

B

binka

I can't believe I forgot about this... earlier this year I had to replace my worn out Matchbox and decided to go the chair route as it suited my style of fishing more these days (laid back!).

One thing I did have was a pining for the traditional wicker basket and I ordered a brand new one from the Somerset Willow Company and a lovely thing it is too.

It's been in the shed under a blanket whilst the darker stain that I treated it with hardens off over winter and I can't wait to use it next year.

Basket.jpg

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Looks good, Binka! Tell us the stain isn't a varnish, though; wicker benefits from an annual soak-and-dry to tighten it up.
Now all you need is a really good cushion... I use a couple of gardeners' kneeling pads plus two slices of softer foam.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Basket bum, that brings back memories.

B

binka

I like the matching Hardy rods mate....Had a BIG pay rise then :)

Lol... I wish, currently still on a 20% cut and no commision which has hit for around 11k a year!

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Basket bum, that brings back memories.

:) Oh yes, a cushion will be a must!

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Looks good, Binka! Tell us the stain isn't a varnish, though; wicker benefits from an annual soak-and-dry to tighten it up.
Now all you need is a really good cushion... I use a couple of gardeners' kneeling pads plus two slices of softer foam.

Thanks Alan.

I'm afraid it is a varnish type, I used the best stuff I know which is an oil based Sadolin which in total cost me more than the price of the basket... a job and a half to do too inside and out but after several coats i'm really pleased with the end result and confident that it won't scuff off.

Not sure if it's a good thing but it no longer makes that tell tale creaking noise when you move around, I reckon I will quite miss that.