spliced tips

aebitim

Reaction score
Has anybody got any experience of fitting a spliced tip to a hollow tip rod?

1] How do I find a suitable tip, my first thought is a quiver tip.

2] How do I actually join the tip to the blank?

3] Is this a stupid idea, the rod I am intending to modify is a matchpro ultralight which works very well with avons and chubers but is a little clumsy for stick work.

Just in case you think Im completely mad I have a spare broken tip section for the Drennan.

Any thoughts chaps.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possibly not a good idea. I repaired a broken splice many years ago by cutting the blank back past the broken splice – buying a new section to splice in (they sold them then, don’t know if they still do).

Offer the new section inside the blank and pull it through.
Mark where it joins – then pull it back out.
Cut it a couple of inches longer than the mark then feed it back through.
All that is left then is to whip it and stick some eyes on.
Jerry

aebitim

Reaction score
Well, other than Jerry's excellent advice, above . . . . . . . have you thought about being more careful with your rod tips?

[add Smiling thingie > > > HERE]

Presumptious, I scrounged the busted tip of someone, thought it would be a good project. I have both a map and a whisker kevlar spliced tip, wondered what the drennan would be like with one.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Presumptious, I scrounged the busted tip of someone, thought it would be a good project. I have both a map and a whisker kevlar spliced tip, wondered what the drennan would be like with one.

That's why I added the 'smiley' thing because I was joking.

There was a John Wilson Go Fishing programme ages back where he showed how to fit a new quiver tip, you might find it on YouTube I suppose.

Good luck with the project

aebitim

Reaction score
That's why I added the 'smiley' thing because I was joking.

There was a John Wilson Go Fishing programme ages back where he showed how to fit a new quiver tip, you might find it on YouTube I suppose.

Good luck with the project

Thanks for the John Wilson info will chase it down.

Reading my post again it was a little stiff, appologies.

B

Berty

I have spliced a good few tips, it is very hit and miss unless you have a decent selection of tips to try out.....you will get flat a flat spot at the splice lots of times.

The name of the rod (ultra light) leads me to think your task will be difficult........have you tried to get a new top section?

A ultra light that works well with avons and chubbers?????????

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
I have spliced a good few tips, it is very hit and miss unless you have a decent selection of tips to try out.....you will get flat a flat spot at the splice lots of times.

The name of the rod (ultra light) leads me to think your task will be difficult........have you tried to get a new top section?

A ultra light that works well with avons and chubbers?????????

Indeed, small avons and chubbers mind, mainly fishing the upper Dorset Stour, 4bb is a big un. . . the broken section was scrounged the original tip is intact. Very nice rod that would probably work well with a bigger stick float, just kicking the idea around really. I have considered looking for a put over type quiver tip to use as a spliced tip ho hum decisions decisions.
Any pointers on where I might buy spliced tips, there are some solid glass flick tips on Ebay at the moment perhaps they might work? Perhaps I should follow the advice in B.Bs original post and scrap the whole idea. Thank you
for the reply.

B

Berty

I would look to an old established rod builder or maybe buy a ready made tip (carbon maybe to "blend" in without a flat spot) strip it and fit it to the rod section.

It could be fun trying it, ive certainly enjoyed "playing" with rod blanks over the years.