best tackle shop.

redfin123

Reaction score
The best tackle shop ever in sheffield has to be steve calcotts in the wicker, IMO. always friendly nothing was to much trouble, whether you spent £100 quid or £2 quid you got the same friendly service. steve was a real gent and always willing to offer good advice. It was a sad day when his shop was flooded in the sheffield floods and thousands of tackle was ruined, after that steve decided to retire and end a long business in the tackle trade. thanks for your friendship steve and have a long and happy retirement.

B

binka

I've never been familiar with that one, seems a shame that he's no longer about going by what you said.

I can't say I have a best tackle shop and travel around a bit with work so get to call in many but probably my favourite would either be Lanes of Coventry or Walkers of Trowell.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best tackle shop ever in sheffield has to be steve calcotts in the wicker, IMO. always friendly nothing was to much trouble, whether you spent £100 quid or £2 quid you got the same friendly service. steve was a real gent and always willing to offer good advice. It was a sad day when his shop was flooded in the sheffield floods and thousands of tackle was ruined, after that steve decided to retire and end a long business in the tackle trade. thanks for your friendship steve and have a long and happy retirement.

Ha yes, What a nice fella, Steve always had time for folk. The first time I ever went in (the old shop) I wanted a spool of backing for my fly reel and Steve proceeded to go through all the drawers in the shop till he found some...Shakespeare backing, the best I have ever found!!
Its a shame Calcotts shut down, it was a good place and one of the few left in the city centre .

nicepix

Reaction score
He used to run a stall on Barnsley market in the 1960's. You could find it easily as he had a 6' keepnet suspended on top of a 20' pole like a flag. After they had packed up we used to scrounge all the stuff that had been left behind. I've still got a couple of hundred of their 2/0 sea hooks somewhere. :D

Sheffield was and still is blessed with good tackle shops. Those like Dawsons have kept on for three generations or more. In Wakefield there used to be a cracking shop at the bottom of the Springs run by a real gent called Fred Alexander who was a well respected fisherman in his own right. When he retired the business passed to his son-in-law who was not a fisherman and the business soon went downhill. Last time I passed it was full of Chinese air rifles and crossbows. It was the same in Barnsley. One of the tackle shops was run by non fishermen who was into shooting and the fishing section was really poor. The other was run by **** Clegg, hence me going to Sheffield and Wakefield a lot :D