chav professor

Reaction score
It shouldn't worry too much - it just means the stuff is still effective in cold water...lol

Much the same as putting glycerine in cheese paste.... funny stuff glycerine - anti-freeze properties and stops stuff from spoiling.

Some flavours seem to carry better in cold water too. Banana contains esters which are volatile (have low boiling points) this is perhaps why they work so well at lower water temperatures.

Esters are brilliant fish attractors, but overdo them (which is easily done) and they will put fish off.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've just seen this advertised, SAC™ juice World's-first 'Glycerite' liquid bait additive
am I missing some thing? If I was fishing in water at -46.5 celcius I would be fishing in a block of ice!!

Is there any point to being able to attract fish at such a low temperature? Also how can did they prove this?

Matthew.

Don't worry mate. You get one of these with every purchase.

94053041b.jpg

:D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who wrote that advertisement?

"StrikeMaster Lazer Mag Power Auger

StrikeMaster adds more meat to the cutting tool that defines power augers. A 42cc, 2.5 horsepower Solo® motor teams with stainless steel Lazer Blades to turn the lake into an ICEE®. Low fuel consumption and generous 24-ounce gas tank combine for hundreds of holes between fills. Electronic ignition reduces wear and tear on your rotator cuff. Handles made of Tufflite Dupont® Zytel manage the muscle without adding body fat. The Lazer Mag is the picture of form and fitness."

nicepix

Reaction score
Who wrote that advertisement?

"StrikeMaster Lazer Mag Power Auger

StrikeMaster adds more meat to the cutting tool that defines power augers. A 42cc, 2.5 horsepower Solo® motor teams with stainless steel Lazer Blades to turn the lake into an ICEE®. Low fuel consumption and generous 24-ounce gas tank combine for hundreds of holes between fills. Electronic ignition reduces wear and tear on your rotator cuff. Handles made of Tufflite Dupont® Zytel manage the muscle without adding body fat. The Lazer Mag is the picture of form and fitness."

It's for Americans. Just a collection of words to stimulate their dull brains. It's not meant to make sense. :wh

Anyway, it would scare the fish away. ;)

fins

Reaction score
Thanks folks, I'm not actually new to the forum. I've changed my name due to representing so many cases at work where social media was the cause of the trouble. I don't want to get into that discussion but I have changed my views and I'm not suggesting that I have ever gone fishing after calling in sick!

My problem with the origonal link is that it is rubbish. Why not just say it works in the cold?

I could market some thing and say it was effective at 500 celcius. The pressure that the water would have to be under for it not to be steam and then the chance that fish would be alive and willing to feed would make it pointless and unprovable.

I also have done some ice fishing on the great lakes. I was staying in Canada and what we did was find where we knew a feature was gore a hole and hang a line down into the water.

Walk across the border onto the USA side and they tow little huts out onto the ice behind pickups. They have generators, heaters, telly and cooking equipment. Fortunately they are also friendly and if you wanted to talk fishing you could go in and warm up.

Matthew.

goonch

Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to be a weather forecast for the upcoming week :confused:

fins

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out Jeff.

Laguna, I'm sorry if I have caused offence.

Matthew.

laguna

Reaction score
Oh, you're walking on thin ice there and it will get you into hot water. :confused:

Poster no 3 is the guy that invented it..... :wh

Thanks Jeff, but I think fins already made his mind up so here's the short answer "yeah it works quite well in the cold"!

Why? well he never asked did he? :eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
He has a point though. Doesn't matter what the temperature s like in air or on the ice, fish are found in water and water is only found down to zero degrees Celsius.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what the temperature s like in air or on the ice, fish are found in water and water is only found down to zero degrees Celsius.

Water can go lower than zero degrees Celsius before it freezes, sea water for example can go much lower than zero.

Regardless of that, Matthew the point I think the advertiser (Chris) is making is that the product will work at very low temps, in as much as the flavour will still leak out i.e. the liquid (flavour) will not freeze itself.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Water can go lower than zero degrees Celsius before it freezes, sea water for example can go much lower than zero.

Regardless of that, Matthew the point I think the advertiser (Chris) is making is that the product will work at very low temps, in as much as the flavour will still leak out i.e. the liquid (flavour) will not freeze itself.

Because its salt water or because its moving so becomes a kind of slushy ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The water under the Ross ice shelf, by Antarctica, stays around 28 degrees Fahrenheit ( -3 Celsius) and stays liquid because of the salt content.
Jerry

Ahhh thanks I thought you had broke the laws of physics there captain !

Bluenose

Reaction score
Because its salt water or because its moving so becomes a kind of slushy ?

Nicepix is correct in as much as 'pure' water will freeze at zero deg C. However the addition of an impurity will lower the freezing point. Moving 'pure' water will still freeze at zero deg C however this process will probably take longer as the particles are flowing.

Hence if we consider typical 'impure' river water you often get ice in the margins of a river because this is the slowest area and hence these particles are the first to freeze.