Newbie Starting out

carcass

Reaction score
Hi guys,just wanted to say hello, I've just recently started float fishing after trying it with a friend and am completly hooked!!
Chris

Last edited:
B

Berty

Hello mate.......float fishing is wonderful and it's great to hear of a new commer enjoying it......at one time it was where we all started, enjoy!

B

binka

Good luck with it Chris, it's funny how I can't watch television for ten minutes without getting bored but will sit watching a float for hours!

And don't let 'em tell ya that them quivertip thingies are just the same thing except on the end of a rod ;)

carcass

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, Afraid I dont have a clue what quivertips are as i just used a rod my friend got at lidl{and have bought the same}. I totally agree with you there Binka, I can quite happily fish allday but get bored at the slightest glance of the tv. Now Just looking for somewhere to fish locally {north london} during the winter.
Cheers Chris

bigfish74

Reaction score
Hi guys,just wanted to say hello, I've just recently started float fishing after trying it with a friend and am completly hooked!!
Chris

it doesnt take much does it wont be long before your lugging more gear than you need around it cant be helped
enjoy yourself and stay safe through winter that there waters cold

andy

carcass

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation paul not seen a quiver tip rod in action yet.
Tell me about it Andy, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop!
just bought a selection of floats, hooks and shot to try out over the winter.
Thanks Guys, Chris

carcass

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, im really enjoying the float fishing!
Im going to have a try at pike fishing with dead bait over the next week after a friend told me about a free lake in Highams park.
Any pointers or tips are most welcome :D
Cheers Chris

B

binka

Chris...

Float fishing is a really exciting way of fishing for pike, from that first tell tale bob to the float suddenly shooting away.

If you have a bait on the bottom try using a loaded deadbait pencil float set a couple of feet over depth, the float will naturally sit between halfway and two thirds down, you can then tighten up against the weight of your bait so that the float sits unaturally low and if a pike picks it up on the spot or runs you get a good indication... if you don't have a baitrunner or line clip on your rod just tie an elastic band around the butt section and pop the line under with your fingers and leave the bail arm open so that if you get a screamer of a run you won't lose the lot.

If you're suspending a deadbait try and do it where there is an underwater drop off as the pike will patrol the bottom of these areas waiting for prey fish to swim over the top of them before ambushing.

Have a good look at the predator forum, there's a mine of information in there but generally at this time of year look for the deeper water and other tell tale signs such as where Grebes are feeding as this will locate the smaller prey fish that the pike follow.

It would be a good idea to take someone experienced until you get into things, especially for unhooking and ensure you always carry a long pair of forceps at the very least and strike within the first few seconds, preferably straight away.

Good luck.

Last edited:

carcass

Reaction score
Thankyou for the invaluable advice Binka, it's given me a better idea of approaching things.

Thanks James