Really Wet Rain

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
I was out Chubbing last night on the Ribble and most of the night was spent in, what as a lad the grown ups would call, really wetting rain.
Back then, someone would come in our house wet through and my Mum would say "you look drowned love, is it raining hard?" “No” they would say, “it's only drizzling, you know the really wet stuff"
Well last night was just like that, it drizzled all through the session and I’ve never been as wet. The rain got everywhere, even my liquidised bread turned into mash. The inside of my rucksack and its contents were all wet. All through the session, there was no heavy pitter-patter or drumming of rain on my very large brolly, but every now and then the wind would pick up and flutter the brolly and I’d feel a soft gentle spray on my face. It was drizzling under my brolly.

So, have any of you heard the saying: -

“it's only drizzling, you know the really wet stuff"?

B

Berty

Oh yes.....brings back memories of macs and those plastic head scarves women wore in my childhood and steamed up buses.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So, have any of you heard the saying: - “it's only drizzling, you know the really wet stuff"?
What is also know as an 'Irish mist' over the other side...

Or in Dukinfield they'd say "Tinna part rainin'."

I'm a coward these days. I hold my hand out and count to five, if as many droplets of rain or more land on it I pack up and go home.

seksee

Reaction score
As the Peter Kay dinner lady joke goes:

"It's that fine rain that soaks ya through!"

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I fished an overnight session this summer , lovely day , not too hot not too cold
When I bivvied down for the night I left my chair out
Next morning the dew had soaked the chair so wet I couldn't sit in it

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pissle

Peter Kay and the dinner lady sketch...........GET IN QUICK....IT'S SPITTING........

And the lazy wind...Too lazy to go round you so it goes straight through you.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They say "The Wrekin's got it's hat on" round here.

That means the local hill is covered by clouds and rain is on it's way.

sam vimes

Reaction score

After a fashion. I don't know if it goes further than my own family, but we'd call it Lake District rain. Not even close to chucking it down but you seem to get even more soaked than if it were.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rain like of that sort is known as Billinge rain round these 'ere parts.

The bad one

Reaction score
I was out Chubbing last night on the Ribble and most of the night was spent in, what as a lad the grown ups would call, really wetting rain.
Back then, someone would come in our house wet through and my Mum would say "you look drowned love, is it raining hard?" “No” they would say, “it's only drizzling, you know the really wet stuff"
Well last night was just like that, it drizzled all through the session and I’ve never been as wet. The rain got everywhere, even my liquidised bread turned into mash. The inside of my rucksack and its contents were all wet. All through the session, there was no heavy pitter-patter or drumming of rain on my very large brolly, but every now and then the wind would pick up and flutter the brolly and I’d feel a soft gentle spray on my face. It was drizzling under my brolly.

Well dear John you will go on the river and fish a length where you face the up streamer. :D Given your experience and access you should have more sense :D Not much simpathy for you really. ;)
Me and Wayne on the other hand were snug and dry with the brolly backs to the wind/rain a mile down river :D:D It was wet rain though I'll grant you that.
Oh and there's a story of the wet hat, but I'll save that for when I see you next :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really hate drizzle when the wind blows it right in my face, like last week when walking to work...Grrrrrr!!!