More Marsh Farm Crucians

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Genadi you have noticed something that is in question in this country ,Are they true crucians is debatable as there are so many varities ,how have they chosen Marsh farms as the true crew I don't know but they dont look like that on the continent.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Two of my local venues, CEMEX Yateley's Summer Pit and Godalming ASMarsh Farmclaim to have genetically tested pure crucians. Those claims are generally accepted as valid and have been "endorsed" by theBRFC.

I've been fortunate to catch crucians from both venues and the colouration varies a great deal. The Summer Pit usually produces really dark, high backed fish whereas Marsh Farm has these much lighter golden colours. I love catching both!

Lark

Reaction score
Lovely fish Neil - nice pic too.

ProvidedI can clear the decks in time I'm at MF on Friday for my first crucian session of the year - can't wait!

T

The Welsh Windbag

Hi there Lark - I may well be at MF from about noon myself, depending on ditto clearing decks (or at least clearing the other half's decks and escaping !) - any chance of identifying you if you're there ? Both carrying rolled up copies of the Times and a red rose in the right buttonhole ? Black FM hats ???? or...... ?

Hope to see you there anyway, possibly the Maidamilking too ? rhetorical question mark ?

Lark

Reaction score
Evan - If I do make it I'll be the fat bloke pole fishing and blocking the daylight from the southern end of Harris Lake.

I normally wear an old (lucky) blue New York Yankees cap. I've also been known to wear a spectacularly pretentious tan suede drover's hat that has got me into far less fights than it should have done!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
A beautiful crucian Neil, I believe you had a few more cracking ones out of there and some lovely tench too/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Lark wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Evan - If I do make it I'll be the fat bloke pole fishing and blocking the daylight from the southern end of Harris Lake.

I normally wear an old (lucky) blue New York Yankees cap. I've also been known to wear a spectacularly pretentious tan suede drover's hat that has got me into far less fights than it should have done!</blockquote>

Get yourself a proper hat ....... A Red Sox one!!!!

Yankees not doing so good this season up to now .......

SETH MORGAN

Reaction score
Fished at Marsh Farm yesterday for the first time with a mate whilst back in Sussex on a short family visit.

Only managed to land tench and roach my mate as well. Think we had crucian bites but the buggers were too difficult to hit. Talk about shy and lightening fast bites.

I didn't know which hat to wear either Lark. we were talking about Marsh Farm &my mate said wear the fox hat and I replied it's somewhere near Goldaming I think.

LOL.

Seth

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
That they vary in colouration is not a problem as most fish of the same species do vary from water to water. Tenchrange in colourfrom almost black to light olive for example. Pike also show a wide range of colours and patterns. Neither or these species hybridise with other species.

T

The Welsh Windbag

Thanks for that Mr Mainman, you da bomb....

Fingers crossed I can do tomorrow ! Poss Sunday as well, tho I generally avoid the crowds at weekends in favour of less publicly trampled secret squirrel venues /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Though all that nice warm sun stuff appears to have disappeared from the sky in favour of more bl**dy grey and drizzle..... *sigh*

Lark

Reaction score
Have faith that man - weather is looking ideal tomorrow. 16 degrees with just enough wind to make an interesting ripple.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Neil I was not doubting the authenticity or beauty of the fish ,I was just letting Genadi know that in Britain ,there is doubt in the heritage of some crucians(most crucians)I am no Peter Rolfe I was just being welcoming to mucker Genadi.

T

The Welsh Windbag

Weather definitely looking up and I shall make a determined effort to get there tomorrow (or rather, later today !)

Hope to see you..... Just look for a short fat welshman practicing to be a Marsden look alike in due course - got the stature, got the build, got the wee bandy legs, got the hat, just need the age and careworn face of a much harried webmaster to go with it !

Green Tog24 jacket, camo romper suit, vague expression and glasses. Oh, and if all that fails to identify me, I will be the one with the tangled up tackle, swearing and catching nowt while all around me drown in a red letter day haul of superb fish.....

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I fished Harris Lake on Wednesday for the first time. Caught no crucians but had five tench- biggest5lb 4oz - on paste. Lots of crucians rolling and jumping down the far end adjacent to Johnson's.

Suprising how quickly it has settled down and matured. I remember when I used to catch the train to London for work and pass Enton Lakes; one day I noticed someone had dug a big hole in the field north of Johnson's lake and thought to meself; ahah, there's a new fishery in the making. Little did I realise what I was witnessing.

stephen webb

Reaction score
Fished Harris lake yesterday, and managed to catch a new PB crucian 3lb 7oz /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well done Stephen, I was there yesterday as well. No crucians for me but plenty of quality tench. So far I've had a few crucians with several between 2lb 02oz and 2lb 06oz plus this one of 2lb 15oz.

I've witnessedfour 3lb+ fish with the best going 3lb 11oz, beautiful fish! I will continue my quest!