is this possible

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
hello all i no his has probably bin mentioned on here before buttt.... im looking for some help on how to fish at the same spot everytime but i dont want to go out and buy and new rod and a marker float etcc. is there a way that you can mark your line or somethink to hit the samespot alll the time i no your suppose to get a land mark ova the other side and that. just not sure how to mark me line or any oher type.ive read about line clips but dont really like the idea. would appreciate any info on this please as i am getting ready to go out for the new season thanks all.

The Monk

Reaction score
an elastic band around the spool once you`ve cast out, that way you will land in the same place each time providing you mark it with a feature for the cast

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Richard I shall try and answer your questions for you: To get the direction the same place your feet in the same spot every time and choose a non moveable far bank marker, such as a prominent tree or a certain coloured bush etc. Not a cow in a field. Line up the rod over your right shoulder and cast towards the marker. For the distance and without using the line clip on your reel all you can do is put a little tape over your line and cut the tape quite short, you could even use different colours of tape for different distances and keep them on your line. If you keep the drop (distance from rod tip to lead) the same for each cast and put in the same amount of effort you should get the hang of it quite quickly.

If you still cant get the distance right then loop a pellet band around your line and clip up the pellet band until you get comfortable with the effort required to go the distance and then take it off.

Have fun

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
thanks alot trev matthews and the monk. trev mattews could you use electrical tape on your line. dosent the tape get caught on your rod eyes when a fish takes your bait or do you put it and the tip of your rod rather then in the middle . and monk do you cast out and then wrap the elastic band around your spool to set the distance then leave it on there. or did i get the wrong end os the stick lol thanks alot guys.

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
oh sorry monk didnt read properly again tho the monk dosent the elastic band move when realling in a fish or sumat cheers.

T

Hi richard,

yes electrical tape is good. If you cut it too close to the line it will stick in every ring along your rod, thats why you dont cut it too short, it needs to fold back on itself a bit. Ill answer Monks question as well if I may Mr Monk. Yes first cast out to the spot you want then with your rod in the rests and everything settled down put a lakky band over the spool (another use for the red post office ones) if a big fish does take your bait the line will still leave the spool albeit under a little pressure, which is no bad thing actually. Leave the lakky band on the spool it wont do any harm.

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
oh and lads this mite sound like a stupid question but give me your oppinion do you think hitting the same spot pts more fish on the bank cheers lads

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
cheers trev matthews thanks alot mate i think i like theelectrical tape1 i get you about it needeing to fold over what would you go for im not to confident on the elastic band 1 how do you stop it the mate with the elasticband just when u see it leave the spool. and trying tostop it around the same area cheers mate appreciate it

T

theres no such thing as a stupid question... There are times when it is better to be accurate if your trying to get a clear spot in the middle of thick weed for instance or if you fishing tight to an island or far bank feature. Then there are times when it is better to spread the bait about a bit, you cant get a shoal of big bream around a pile of bait thats the size of a table top, far better to give them a decent size area to browse over, andif Im fishing particles for the carp I like to spread them about also, it makes the carp have to move about looking for food, which means once they have my short 6" hook length rig in their mouth they have to move offand set the hook against the heavy 3oz lead.

Try accurate same spot on one rod and spread about on another, see what works for you.

as long as you learn somethingfrom each visit then you cant go wrong/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
yes i suppose mate just like to no everythink lol i tend to do that anyway lol to be honest where i fish there isnt alot of weed really . just going bck tothe electrical tape mate could you explain how u stop it where u want using eletrical tape just not sure on that bt think ive got you for the rest of it do you just have to look then stop it or what cheers mate really really appreciate your help

Reaction score
Here's another way Richard.

Line up with a feature to get your horizontal position.

When you have the distance required then tie a piece of pole elastic around your line and pull it tight. Trim one of the tag ends. Then trap the other tag end under your line clip.

This helps hit the spot, but also allows the line to pull free of the clip should you get a run.

Also, when you cast and your bait is mid flight, lift your rod back to vertical position. As the line meets the clip move your rod back down to near horizontal while winding a couple of turns on to the spool.

Hope that helps.

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
thanks alot matt ill try that aswell mate thanks for everyones info and has anyone got anymore ways would like to no cheers

The Monk

Reaction score
good luck mate, just work out with is best for you of course and the more the use that method the better you will get at it.

Richard Mchugh

Reaction score
thanks alot everyone for your information ill have a go at the different methods cheers lads what would i do with out fishing majic and there forums lol cheers again lads