Self Impaling Incidents (Ouch!)

B

binka

This had us rolling around again when it was brought up the other evening and I wondered if anyone else had any similar incidents that they are willing to confess to.

Back in the summer I was fishing a local lake with my regular fishing mate when I had just landed a tench.

Holding the net between my knees there was no sign of the hook around the fishes mouth so out came the disgorger from behind the ear and as I lowered the net slightly to get a bit of tension on the line and peered down into the it there was an unmistakable ping!

To my disbelief the hook had pinged straight out of the fishes mouth and shot straight up my left nostril!

Trying to keep calm I popped the tench back and then fiddled around as inconspicously as I could for what must have been a good five minutes with the disgorger up my nose, eyes streaming until I had to shout up...

"A mate you're not gonna believe this but I think I might need a hand".

I think his horror was greater than mine at the thought of having to poke around up my snout for a size eighteen and I lost count of the times I looked across to the next peg and through the tears could make out his shoulders going up and down with laughter as he looked the other way, contemplating the unthinkable and leaving me to it.

It was actually for him that I finally managed to remove it... he was saying a week or so earlier how his missus had told him off for borrowing her tweasers which he used to put on hair rig stops and I thought it was a good idea and popped a pair in my waistcoat too, and it was these that finally removed the hook after I had only managed to push it higher up with the disgorger.

He did say afterwards that if he had to help as a last resort he would have insisted I lay on the unhooking mat and pose for a trophy shot afterwards and it didn't stop him from posting it on the local club site (git)!

Thank God for barbless hooks!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
There was a brilliant post on here a while ago, (somebody who knows how,find it please), about a bloke that got a treble hook in his head, he drove to the hospital, but when he arrived he could'nt get out of the car because the treble hook had also snagged in the fabric of the car roof interior :eek::eek::D

B

Berty

Ive impaled myself a few times but luckily only hands, but years ago i was fishing for pike with lures and didn't see a lad behind me who wanted to watch......i gave hime a lovely ear ring as the lure pierced his ear lobe!!

I "operated" on him, well, i had to get my lure back!........a certain Angling Times columnist was with me that day.

A season or two later i was fishing the Fens, I think it was the Cut Off with the same fella....Bearded Midlands bloke ;) when he ended up impaling himself whilst landing a pike or zander......big treble, right up to the hilt!!

I picked up my forceps and walked towards him saying "no prob Des, i'll get that out for you""........i swear he screamed at me saying "**** off Williams!.....i still remember that ****ing lad you hooked" !!!

Wus wouldn't let me near him and i had to take him to Kings Lynn hospital ! :)

B

binka

I "operated" on him, well, i had to get my lure back!........a certain Angling Times columnist was with me that day.

with the same fella....Bearded Midlands bloke ;) when he ended up impaling himself whilst landing a pike or zander......big treble, right up to the hilt!!

I picked up my forceps and walked towards him saying "no prob Des,

Lol, sounds like a result... a Grandeslam you might say :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I remember tying a small hook on to a hook length and putting the line in my mouth to wet the line before tightening the knot and getting the hook in my lower lip

Took a couple ofminutes discreet unhooking to remove

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before the days of shop bought boilie needles I used to use a crochet hook I had a bad habit of putting it on my chair till one day I sat on it two inches of it was buried in my backside I never put one on a chair again.

chav professor

Reaction score
I have impaled myself quite a few times..... drove to the hospital to remove a size 2/0 from the palm of my hand. It was so unnecessarily painful - what with the local aneasthetic - I mean they are going to stick something else into you - that gives a concentrated amount of pain!!!!!

Next time it happened..... simply cropped the barb with a pair of pliers .... Easy!

Not so easy when you find your dog trailing around 3ft of lead core from his mouth. Thankfully he was lip hooked! I am certain the Vet would have made an equally expensive, uncomfortable song and dance about its removal.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The worst impaling I have seen was when my fishing buddy impaled him self by tripping over and falling on a two and a half foot monkey climber needle it went in his forearm and clean through and out the other side not nice at all he was lucky it did not pierce a main vein. We did not withdraw it in case this was the case we went to the local A&E and they sorted it out.

seksee

Reaction score
This is possibly one of the most stupid things I have ever done...

I was fishing with two rods - a float rod and a quiver tip. Watching the float whilst watching the quiver tip out of the corner of my eye.

Anyway, at one point in the day, I pulled my line in to check my bait and put some fresh bait on. As I was distracted by this, I had taken my eye off my float. I glanced up to check my float and I couldnt see it anywhere! I had a good look and couldn't see it so came to the conclusion that it had been taken under whilst I was distracted... so, as quickly as I could, I picked up my float rod and struck (quite hard) which I when I realised exactly how stupid I had been...

It was the float setup that I had pulled out of the water to re-bait and I was actually holding the hook in my hand when I had struck. Ouch!

As previously mentioned, thank god for barbless hooks :rolleyes:

B

binka

LMAO! :D

The bit where the snake fell out the tree had me rolling... imagine that guy being your fishing buddy? :D :D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I do wonder if some of them are now staged, but not the one where he gets a lure in the foot and the one in the nose. No one is stupid enough to do that deliberately, are they?

The snake would have worried me though. Hard to tell what it is, a copperhead or a cottonmouth (or something else), both poisonous of course.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You wouldn't want him within half a mile of you, it would be like fishing with Mr Magoo. I am still cringing from when he walked into the tow bar.

mick b

Reaction score
I've been hooked by a fish!
I was fishing alone on my own boat, jigging over an artificial reef 4nm off the coast of Portugal and hooked and boated a fish around 9-10kgs.
The end rig was a 200gm long jig with a twin (assist) 2/O hook rig, each hook attached separately to the top end of the jig with 200lb spectra.
Holding the fish off the deck with the jig I went to remove the hook in the fish when it jumped and twisted the jig out of my hand falling to the deck and penetrating my thumb with the free hook :eek:mg: which I quickly cut free from the jig.

The hook went in well beyond the barb and didn't bleed at all.
I cut the hook off near the eye and forced the hook out through the pad of my thumb ( it was very tough going, like wet leather) then pulled the whole lot right through and out.......then it did bleed!!
However experience is a wonderful thing and I knew what to do and had the right tools with me.
If you act quickly there is little pain, wait even a few mins and it will hurt like hell :D
Always carry a tool that will cut and hold any hook you using easily and one-handed, Maun pliers are the way to go if your interested.
Always carry a first aid kit.

BTW I still have the hook as a reminder......what not to do! :mad:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Last year we had a work trip where we were staying on the New Jersey shore (i hasten to add, the classy bit a few miles south from where the tv thing is filmed). Anyway, I never really got in to the time zone there, and went lure fishing every morning from sun up until breakfast.

There was nothing particualrly big in the surf, small blue fish and flounder made up most of what I caught, imagine spinning for perch and you've got a pretty good idea.

I hooked and landed a very small flounder, which had really engulfed a small big-s style plug. As I went to pick the fish up, it gave a mighty shake and transferred one of the flying trebles into my thumb, all the way in past the barb and almost back out of the side. I got the fish off (whilst still attached to the lure) and then had a go with my pliers at getting the hook out. It was solid. It suddently struck me that I might be needing to go to hospital with it - and I really needed to be at the conference I was attending to give a presentation that morning. I was starting to imagine the telling off I was going to get from my boss for missing the event with a fishing injury!! So i decided to give it one last heave - and thank god, it came out, the barb nicely dressed with some of the inside of my thumb. I gave my hand a quick wash in the sea - and weirdly, it didn't really bleed that much. It did feel numb for a couple of days though.

The lesson learned -don't pick the fish up. Get hold of the hook with the pliers and just turn the fish off it.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, my mate walked into the line in the dark as I was rebaiting the hook.

Ouch.jpg