Shimano 1000 size ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I am looking for a small reel for light waggler work. It will be paired with a Drennan IM9 Classic rod. Reel line 4lb.
Can anyone confirm the size of the 1000 shimano reels. Are they "silly" small or good for what i need ??

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Hi

I've got the 2500 Stradic and the 3000 Stradic but never considered the 1000 models - I've been a big fan of the Stradic but didn't feel the last one I bought (3000 RC model) had the same build quality as the RB model

little oik

Reaction score
The smallest I would use is a 2500.(Unless spool is the same size and its the body which is smaller). Even then you need to find a very supple line otherwise it has a tendency to loop off the reel ,especially whilst waggler fishing as you cannot put any tension in line whilst reeling unless you either have a fish on the end or by using your fingers .

barbelboi

Reaction score
With Shimano sizes I wouldn't go below a 2500 either with preference to a 3000 if using a reel around that size.
Jerry

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ok thanks chaps. I was originally drawn to 3000 size as comes with shallow spool. I think will stick with that decision :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 2500 GTM Super X and it really is a delight to use but I think the reel bodies are the same size on the 1000 and the 2500 so I don't think you gain alot of difference in size/weight. If your patient and can wait, keep your eyes peeled for one on evilbay, like most things they will come up for auction on there !
Failing that the 2500 stradic's (any model) are very excellent :).

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ok .... If i am going with 3000 reels i have now re-thought this & wonder if i can get away with the following

I might be pushing my luck here, but i want 3 reels (the same) to cover these scenarios. I am currently considering the Shimano Exage 3000 rear fighting drag model (prefer rear drag) as comes with both shallow & deep spools. They are to be paired with the following ........

Drennan IM9 13ft Classic rod - Light waggler/match fishing with 4lb line

Drennan Matchpro 12ft Medium Feeder - Light feeder work for silvers with 4lb-5lb line

TFG Classic 1.2lb 11ft Specimen rods - 3 of these rods, used with bite alarms for Tench, Bream & .... hopefully larger Roach. Fishing 30-50yards. 6lb Mainline

My question is, is the size suitable for using 2 of the reels with the match shallow spools on float & feeder rods & then use the deeper spools on the 1.2lb 11ft specimen rods.

Can i get away with this without to much compromise or are they too big for light float or to small for the Specimen rods

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unless you are using braid, which has no memory as such I should forget the 1000 size reels. I have a shimano 1000 stradic front drag and it is superb but I only use it for ultra- light lure fishing with braid. IMO you should go for the 3000 size as it is a good allrounder even for feeder fishing.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a Shimano reel less than 3000 size. Body sizes are often (not always) the same through the ranges, the difference being in spool and rotor sizes. A wider diameter spool has a couple of advantages. One has been hinted at by Mark B, wider diameter giving bigger coils of line which helps when using any kind of line with "memory". Tight little curls are not a good thing.
The second advantage is that the wider spool brings the lip of the spool closer to your finger for casting and finger control when trotting.

Another point to consider is that Shimano match reels in 3000/4000 sizes often have shallow "match" spools which actually have less capacity than the 1000/2000/2500 size reels. Look out for the "S" suffix in the model number.

An example from the current catalogue is the Super GT RC
It's available in four sizes, 1500, 2500, 3000 and 4000.
The codes are SUP1500GTRC, SUP2500GTRC, SUP3000SGTRC and SUP4000GTRC.
The 3000 size has that "S" suffix indicating a shallow spool. the respective line capacities are 4lb/140m, 6lb/200m, 6lb/180m and 6lb/240m.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I am currently negotiating a price on set of 3 x Shimano Exage 3000SRCDH :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I am currently negotiating a price on set of 3 x Shimano Exage 3000SRCDH :)

Great reels, you won't be disappointed. IMO the Cheaper Shimano reels are better quality than the similar priced reels from Daiwa, and I am not being bias as I use reels from both these manufactures. When you go up the price scale reels from both Shimano and Daiwa are very good despite what some on here might think...Some even recommend reels from a company called Dragon Cr@p or something similar but I should avoid them if I were you mate ;)

Last edited: