Fishing in and around Newcastle under Lyme

benny samways

Reaction score
Hi fellow Brothers of the Angle:D

Is there a chance of river fishing near Newcastle under Lyme? I might have to spend some time up there around Christmas and would like to get out to do a bit of roaming for chub if possible?

Is the Trent near Hanley fishable? Or what about the Lyme Brook or Causely brooks?

Just hoping to flick abit of flake about if poss?

Any advice about that area would be grand, thanks.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Benny

Trent near Hanley is a tad too far upstream to make it really viable. Try a bit nearer to Kings Bromley (down the A50). There's also a bit of day ticket fishing a bit further down near where the A50 crosses the river. Try one of the tackle shops in Stoke/Hanley for more info.

You wont get day tickets on the Dove though as it's all club books.

Also try the Sow. A lovely little river with some surprisingly good chubbing. Don't know the ticket situation on this one though.

The Dane isn't very far and is easy too find it has day tickets available. Try Daves of Middlewich for ticket info. Not huge chub but plenty of them.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
No probs Benny

Congleton isn't really a hotbed :)

There's quite a few clubs who have pieces of the Dove and Trent who are under £30 a year, may be worth considering if you're around that area a bit.

Try Dolphin Tackle in Stoke or Daves in Middlewich for ticket info.

There's a club who have miles and miles of the Dane that you'll never see another angler on for £7 a year, now that's value.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Weird.

I dropped my daughter off at the cinema here today, she was at pizza hut straight after for a party and I literally thought 'I wish I knew somewhere local to go fishing for a few hours'

Edit. As Judas says, the Dove/Upper trent aren't too far, Nantwich has the River Weaver, see link, that's 20 mins away, there is also canal fishing close by too.

Last edited:

John Howard

Reaction score
There are chub in Lyme brook. Not the right time of year but look behind the bakery near Tesco on the A34. Beware though Lyme Brook used to suffer with rats and poison was put down .

There is free fishing on the Trent at Stone.

benny samways

Reaction score
Thanks Bluenose and John. Think Im there for new year now so will try and check one of these places out.

I know Stone so will try and check that out.

thanks again for the replies guys

willy63

Reaction score
Free fishing on trent in Stone town centre,ask in tackle shop on Whitebridge industrial estate.

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
Free fishing on trent in Stone town centre,ask in tackle shop on Whitebridge industrial estate.

Benny, I live in the area and the river is currently in flood and will probably remain so over Christmas .

For future reference, the dove is full of big Chub these days and you can get annual permits for around 30 quid.

The Trent by the old Stoke ground is a bit of a dive but it is free and holds the odd chub and trout. Also the Trent by Trentham gardens is full of fish but there is no fishing allowed unfortunately.

How long are you in the area mate?

benny samways

Reaction score
Thanks for that Steve, Ive got family in staffs and will be up for a few days in the new year.

Perhaps 2 or 3 times a year we go up there and I thought its about time I found out what the fishing was like in the immediate area, that way I can take myself off for a few hours when the laies go shopping.

Thanks for all the replies guys