canal carping

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Wouldn't worry too much about which specific bait speci.

I've had them on, halibuts, sweetcorn, skins pellets, hali hookers and pepperami. If your doing a campaign it could be worth using boilies but unless they get fished for regually I shouldn't think they will priotise over them but I could be wrong and been missing out on a few extra carp.

I have had them on spicy shrimp and prawn and mainline tuttis though...

R

Roto Fryer

its a bit like saying which girl should i have! they all do the job but some are much much better than others.

the best of the bunch are these

Nathan

Reaction score
If your going to visit regularly i'd invest in some good quality baits to introduce as a food source otherwise I don't think it really matters. I'd probably try other baits as well as i've found they sometime shy away from boilies at first.

Specihunter

Reaction score
cheers all due to work and boat traffic im only doing overnighters so i just want to take a few baits

MJ

Reaction score
Location is probably more important than bait on canals. I have done a fair bit of canal carping, and it didnt seem to matter what hook bait I used, providing that it was decent, and backed up with pellets for feed.

I always found most success fishing 15mm hookbaits over about a pint of 3-4mm trout or halibut pellets fished in a small tight area. I caught well on Fishmeal or Shelfish baits (I was fishing mostly Nash shelf-lifes at the time). White Chocoloate pop-ups seemed to work ace when fished over silty areas too.

I can recommend doubling up your hookbaits (snowman style) if your canal has a lot of small bream in it.. otherwise you will be in for a busy night!

C

Cakey

speci ...........Ive told you a million times ,Id rather have a shit bait in the right place than a "good"bait in the wrong place

FIND THE FISH YOU LAZY GIT

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What for Reggie and Rnnie though and do not forget the near margin as I have found on the GU that you can get a lot of fish very close in andI mean close in.Leave the bivvy at home though and go with a nice soft barbel rod, a few stubby peacock quills with starlightadaptorand a centrepin and fish from evening to an hour or two after dark.Baitwise I have had fish on trigga boilies over hemp and smaller trigga pellet in various sizes.

DZ

Reaction score
Get a walloping big torch and walk the stretch at night pointing the beam into the depths - those carp stick out like turd in a swimming pool and they dont spook from the light!

Specihunter

Reaction score
cool im going to the oxford canal when i have a day off to look for swims and carp

Nathan

Reaction score
I've heard about shining a light into the water to locate carp. How does it work? Can you actually see the fish or do you just get the relection from their eyes - similar to a cat's eye? I assume you'll need a high powered torch rather than just your usual headlamp

DZ

Reaction score
You'll need a big old beam

Its amazing how they stand out - you literally cant miss em- even in coloured water- big ghostly silhouettes- and they dont bolt away either- perhaps its like rabbits in car lights- but I suppose its such an unatural thing that they dont know what to make of it. Mark where you see fish- throw them some bolies and return the next day with rod and net.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

You'll need a plausible excuse though when you get pulled by the old bill!

Specihunter

Reaction score
why would i need 1 when i wont be in banbury. I was told about upper heyford rich just need a day off.

DZ

Reaction score
plausible excuse- what like- 'I'm a carp fisherman?'