Bite alarms

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have recently bought a cheapo bite alarm the Fox Warrior, it does the job perfectly for what I require (tench fishing at Horseshoe Lake)but I can't adjust the sound volume, can't have everything for £18 I suppose. On looking I notice that some alarms are advertised as weatherproof but some aren't, does that mean that those not listed as weatherproofwill be ruinedin the rain?

Also, I use a drop bite indicator as well but I have read that they are unnecessary at close range (I fish at 20 to 40 yards depending where the clear spots are),what qualifiesas close range in the carp world and would the alarm register all bites without the weight of an indicator?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I think my alarm is a Fox Warrior Graham and I have a choice of three volumes I think.

Looks like this:

Fox-Warrior-Alarms.gif

Mine has been fine in short showers but I've never used it in a downpour.

Indicator wise I've never used it for carp yet however when piking I've always paired it with a drop-back indicator even at short range just to ensure the line is kept taught over the alarm wheel whichever way it moves.

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
I have two of these and they are waterproof. One of the angling mags did a test of the cheaper models and this one came out top. Part of that test was made under a running shower for some time. As someone mentioned earlier the volume can go from very low to far too high. All it lacks is control over sensitivity.