Name and Shame!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
We’re off on April 1st for a 72-hour session. The venue chosen will mean a change of swim a couple of times due to following the fish. I’ve currently got a two man Daiwa bivvy, which I think the world of, but unfortunately isn’t the fastest to put up and down, if it was, I’d keep it for life.

I like a bit of comfort so on sessions over 30 hours I’m happy erecting a bivvy rather than a shelter for my short sessions. Taking all the above into consideration and a tad of surplus on hip, I’m looking for a new and fast system Bivvy. I’ve had my eye on the Armadillo from Trakker as I believe this could suit me perfectly.

So for a change I picked up a copy of Carpworld (March 2002), on page 25 there’s an advert from J & K tackle in Bicester for a 2 Man Armadillo for ?359, turn to page 98 and the exact same spec from Aqua Products and there you have it: ?284.95. A difference of ?74.

What is going on here? There's mark-up and there's mark-up!

R

Rob Brownfield

Aqua possibly make for Trakker? Not sure like

But...Arua stuff is the dogs dangly bits!!

R

Richard Dunn

The aramdillo was originally an Aqua product but they have done some sort of deal with Trakker which enables Trakker to make and sell the Armadillo as well. They are both the same, Aqua version is cheaper but only available direct from Aqua were as Trakker is available from all good tackle shops .

K

Kevan Busby

Stuart, Richard is right in saying that Trakker now make the Armadillo under license from Aqua. The Aqua version is only available from Aqua themselves who sell out of Stapely Angling Centre (part of the Water Gardens site) just outside Nantwich in Cheshire - cash or credit card only, no finance deals. The Trakker version is available from Trakker outlets on finance terms. I know because I think these bivvies are the Poodles Privates but I just can't justify the expence so it's the new Easydome for me.

A

Austin Buchan

Stuart..
Just like to join you on the soap box...
I've just been to 3 tackle shops for 12inch
extendable bank sticks for my goalposts..
these prices for 1 stick ranged between 9.99
up to 15.99 at the bottom end that means 40.00 for 4 banksticks coz they've got a name on them.
Bloody ridiculous if you ask me, I could get another pod for that!

R

Rob Thompson

I'd just like to add that the Aqua one is cheaper but of a far higher build quality - all Aqua's stuff is hand done over here and the material quality, finishing etc is far higher than the mass produced stuff, the zips etc are more substantial blah blah blah!! If you want one Stuart get on the phone today as I know there is a wait for an Aqua original.

Rob

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I ended up with a 2-man, 5 rib fox easy dome and I'm happy with that now thanks Rob.
Although on visiting my local tackle dealer (good guys) Asford Tackle, I ran the above thread comparison through them, who confirmed that they couldn't buy direct from Aqua, but had to go through Trakker and they are also frustrated as a dealer that this is going on. So there you have it, they are the same product and dealers are frustrated that Aqua are promoting the same product although a deal has been done between Trakker and Aqua for the selling rights.
Me Finks we anglers come out on top on this one! Go Direct to Aqua if you can wait!