Blind fish takes bait!

laguna

Reaction score
My mate caught a small carp with no eyes or sockets last season from a puddle, totally blind! (the fish not him);)
It just goes to show how least important colours are/sight is when those olfactory senses are working!

This pic shows a Bangana musaei. A subterranean blind fish from the carp family, measuring 7.7cm, this species was found in the Xe Bangfai catchment, a Mekong tributary in central Laos that runs 7km underground through limestone

Subterranean-blind-fish-B-005.jpg

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
The blind cave fish has lost its eyes as it has evolved and lives in incredibly deep waters where no light penetrates, and therefore eyes are of no use.

B

Berty

Was it caught in the UK?( puddle is a word my pals and i use for commercials).......what a shame if so, why do people want to introduce these????????????????

laguna

Reaction score
Yes Paul, here it is, it was caught on a Commercial up here in Yorkshire and seemingly had no trouble locating the hook bait whatsoever!

Non%20Go%20Bye%20Farm%20blinder.jpg

Not content with it being unable to see, my mate wouldn't let it speak either!:eek: :eek:mg:

Last edited:

goonch

Reaction score
My mate caught a small carp with no eyes or sockets last season from a puddle, totally blind! (the fish not him);)
It just goes to show how least important colours are when those olfactory senses are working!

Not really. It just shows that blind fish can still locate food. It says nothing about the importance of colour. Colour, in my uselessly unscientific mind, can at times be important. Probably not very important when fishing for blind fish though.

Just saying like :wh

laguna

Reaction score
It says nothing about the importance of colour.
Yes, I did mean to say sight. In comparison to a fish's ability to smell and seek out a bait, I think their ability to see is secondary in consideration.

When considering sight and colour, I'm generally thinking in terms of camouflaging lines and feeders to avoid spooking, or using a bait thats more visually attractive - more easily seen. The other view being, using a bait that appears washed out, irregular shape or one that blends in also have their advantages, particularly on pressured waters.

I'm not suggesting colour is of no importance, clearly bright coloured baits in particular when fished in shallow water in daylight have a high visual stimulus and are very successful, even a hi-vis red bait that turns darker at depth or at night for example can still be detected, so it is obviously of no real significance.