Groundbait Prices?

Skoda

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information as to the likely price increases of grounbaits that will be inevitable following the massive rise in UK wheat and barley values? The price of a tonne of wheat has risen from £60/tonne to around £200/tonne in a little over twelve months.

Are most groundbaits cereal based?

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
The groundbait producers were not going to increase the prices until they saw this post .now they will go home and think about it.

Skoda

Reaction score
I disagree, Andy, by discussing the subject openly we stand a greater chance of preventing profiteering. The cost of ingredients in a 1kg bag of, say brown crumb, can have increased fromeight pence to twenty pence maximum. We should not expect increases greater than say fifteen or twenty pence.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Most brown and white crumb is made by grinding up the leftovers from bakeries and I daresay they commandeer the out of date supermarket stuff as well. I remember Austin Clisset supplied most of the tackle shops in the midlands with crumb and this was collected daily from a bakery in Small Heath and believe me there was loads of it.

This being the case why should the price go up at all because otherwise it would only go to piggeries or chicken farms and they would then have the cost of the transport on top. It is a by-product so therefore there should be no extra charge whatsoever.

DZ

Reaction score
Make your own.

Get chummy with the local baker- mine lets me have all manner of stale/unsold stuff.

Take it all home- stuff it in the oven on gas mark 1 for a couple of hours then smash it all up to dust in a big ole sensas bucket.

Add a few packs of digestive bicuits (tesco value blue stripes of shame at 17p).

Bit of ground Vitalin

Good dash of Vanilla Extract

Bit of fishmeal

Blended hemp, blended corn

Jobs a good-un

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Graham, I had this niaive vision of lorry-loads of wheat being used. What you say makes more sense. And thanks for the great tip Dougal, I'll definitely give it a try.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I am only trying to be funny anyway/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Skoda

Reaction score
Sorry Andy, I'm obviously a bit sensitive. Interesting points though?

Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka

Reaction score
Hes only polish, he will try to be funny.Its a different species of humans this poles/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I have been taking bread crumbs from my local tesco man for a while now,add liquidised frozen sweetcorn (£0.80/kg)and hemp from farmers shop.You can catch all sort of fish with it.I add some soil from the bank of the river if I need to make it little bit heavier.

S

Steve Eddy

""stuff it in the oven on gas mark 1 for a couple of hours ""

Have you seen the price of gas these days!!

DZ

Reaction score
Gas mark 1 - thats a pilot light

Driving to go fishing-

Have you seen the price of petrol these days?!

Iain Riley

Reaction score
all our bakers went bust since lossing job dec 28th bin raiding morrisons skip much cheeper/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif