There's nothing on TV tonight...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Springwatch Guide to Otters

An in-depth view of the otter, which has adapted to a life both in and out of the water. Martin Hughes-Games and Chris Packham are joined by fieldcraft experts Simon King and Charlie Hamilton James to present the latest scientific discoveries about the animal, as well as its turbulent history in the UK. They also reveal how it appears to be making a steady comeback around the country - which is not being greeted as good news by everyone.

Today on BBC 2 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

BBC iPlayer - Springwatch: Guide to Otters

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simon King a field craft expert...since when? The springwatch team are just a self-centred bunch of graduates that got lucky in the media business.

As for Mr Otter, well, good luck to him I say :)

nicepix

Reaction score
Simon King a field craft expert...since when? The springwatch team are just a self-centred bunch of graduates that got lucky in the media business.

As for Mr Otter, well, good luck to him I say :)

Oh, I don't know. Michaela Strachan's beaver action was a sight to behold last year and I have still have fond memories of Kate Humble showing off her great tits.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Every time I hear Chwis Packham talk I cwack up laughing...

Kings voice just sounds so patronizing IMO and folk that think he got in to natural history film work through his own determination as a young man don't know the half, his family are bloody loaded, helps a lot when you have financial backing!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
folk that think he got in to natural history film work through his own determination as a young man don't know the half, his family are bloody loaded,
It was his father who got him into television, Man and Boy the series was called, I remember it. From there he developed a tremendous interest in wildlife, just like many of us except that he is credited (not by you Mark obviously :)) as a good presenter. Nothing wrong with any of that, I helped my son get into IT and it gives him a fantastic living.

Trouble is if you just pick out people who are brilliantly educated at a subject you tend to get dull and boring presenters not suited to television. Think back to the earlier OU programmes with fairisle clad beared bespectacled oddballs teaching physics. Now, you do at least get folks like Prof Brian Cox who does both pretty well, but soem people don't like him, he sends my wife to sleep, she says. Best to get good presenters who are passionate about what they like and learn about, eg Sir Patrick Moore. Guess you'll not please all the people all the time though.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aside from considerations about various TV Toms, ****s and Jeremys and their faults and /or presentational skills, I found the programme pretty informative; it taught me some stuff about them - creatures I have seen a fair few of in Britain (mostly in Wales) and once talked about much with people who 30-odd years both hunted and built some of the first man-made holts for them (the latter being the owner of a fine bit of then very fine small salmon-river and a deadly fisher) - that I didn't know. Yes, okay, a bit sickly "twee" (to quote Williamson in the film), but better than I had expected from Springwatch.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was his father who got him into television, Man and Boy the series was called, I remember it. From there he developed a tremendous interest in wildlife, just like many of us except that he is credited (not by you Mark obviously :)) as a good presenter. Nothing wrong with any of that, I helped my son get into IT and it gives him a fantastic living.

Trouble is if you just pick out people who are brilliantly educated at a subject you tend to get dull and boring presenters not suited to television. Think back to the earlier OU programmes with fairisle clad beared bespectacled oddballs teaching physics. Now, you do at least get folks like Prof Brian Cox who does both pretty well, but soem people don't like him, he sends my wife to sleep, she says. Best to get good presenters who are passionate about what they like and learn about, eg Sir Patrick Moore. Guess you'll not please all the people all the time though.

I like Brian Cox as I find him very interesting I also like sir Patrick Moore...I am a bit soft on the old type presenters of yesteryear, the best of the best though as got to be Sir David, there will never be a better wildlife presenter IMO!