Raking weed

Reaction score
I was going to rake some weed in a swim where im going to fish when its season.

And i was wondering if i should do it now or will it grow back again???

If it would grow back again how many days should i rake it before fishing there.

captain carrott

Reaction score
it's only really worth raking for tench.

do it then cast onto the spot you just raked.

captain carrott

Reaction score
mate i once pulled a tench out in the middle of the weed i was raking out, they're such a bunch of nosy gits they will be rooting round as soon as you've finished.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Why is it only worth raking for tench ? Are other fish not attracted to the muddy/silty cloud in the water ? I sometimes stir up the margins when im stalking for carp. Well not so much stir up as stick my landing net handle into the mud and blow so that big bubbles of chod and silt get thrown up from the bottom, gets me a few strange looks sometimes but it works.

Perch are normally the first to arrive after a bubble session.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
raking brings in most species. on a working party taking out some reeds and the carp and tench were swiming around our feet after about half an hour.

The perch and roach didnt come as close but soon moved in once we were out of the water. Rake a little feed then fish

Trisantona

Reaction score
Depending on time of year look carefully to make sure you aren't pulling in a load of fish fry among the weed./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Trisantona wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Depending on time of year look carefully to make sure you aren't pulling in a load of fish fry among the weed./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Very good point

DZ

Reaction score
It takes quite a leap of faith to chuck that rake out on a tranquil dawn, and if there's other anglers about I'd always think twice, especially on a small water. But it does work.

Alternatively, and if more of a long term campaign/plan, you can get the fish to clear the weed for you by baiting with small particles such as hemp/bird seed. Their feeding will eventually remove the weed and often leave you with a lovely polished spot. Thats fun, you'll just have to be sly that no one clocks you prebaiting.