Rivers 2012

riverrovingross

Reaction score
As most of you may have seen the rivers this year have seen no end to the floods, my question is how long can it take an average sized river, in my case the Derwent which is the reason for my question, to reach its normal or near normal level? Judging by the weather we have in store over the next few weed I feel it might be a while :( :'(

I was hoping to get on the river over Christmas but I don't think I know the water well enough yet. I'm not 100% on where the snags are or the fish. It's my second season on a 4-5mile stretch so as you might imagine I've not covered all the pegs yet.

B

binka

Hi Ross,

I'm afraid i'm in the same boat (no pun intended!) and can't get on my river, there's many variables on the time it will take to come down such as tributaries, land run off, ground saturation etc but I think we're in for the long haul before they fine back down again with everything that we've had and what we have forecast over the coming days :(

One thing's for sure... some of the snags will still be there, others will have been washed away and there will be new ones in previously clear swims.

Do you use the EA's level checker site?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends entirely on the particular river. The land the river rises in and runs through, the intensity and duration of rainfall, the state of the water table, whether there are dams in its course or those of its tributaries. I've seen my local go from nsl to raging torrent and back in little more than twenty four hours on occasion. Smaller fluctuations can rise and fall in a matter of hours. Now that everything is sodden, that's been extended somewhat, mainly by the influence of lowland tributaries (rivers and becks) that are draining very soggy lowlands and flood plains.
Another major river that's not much further away is a totally different animal. That's mainly down to the various reservoirs amongst its headwaters and tributaries. Rises and falls aren't usually as dramatic but the rises that do occur are usually more sustained.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The Derwent is usualy quick to come up but also drops quickly, but with its level being very high at the moment and more rain forecast its going to be a while before its fishable but as soon as it is get on it.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ross,
Think about where all that water in the Derwent comes from! The 500 acres of catchment moorland above the great ''lakes'' of the Derwent Valley never stop pumping water in to river (I should know, I have spent many a ''happy hour'' trudging through the horizontal rain up there!) and that's just the start of it!

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I looked at the forecast estimated over the next month and I feel like selling my tackle! But I'm going to be patient and then when I finally get back on the Derwent it will be all the more enjoyable. I've managed to get some secret information of a man that stopped for a chat while I was pike fishing last week about a peg that not many people even know about ;)

B

Berty

I looked at the forecast estimated over the next month and I feel like selling my tackle! But I'm going to be patient and then when I finally get back on the Derwent it will be all the more enjoyable. I've managed to get some secret information of a man that stopped for a chat while I was pike fishing last week about a peg that not many people even know about ;)

I bet he tells everyone ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Don't even think about selling your tackle mate! I sold nearly all mine when I split from my ex as I needed the money and very much regretted it. I had some very expensive gear and it broke my heart, but needs must has they say. Anyway, I was very fortunate to get a couple of bonuses from work and a compo payout of £1300 so I was able to set up again with tackle even better than the gear I sold, trouble is I keep buying tackle at every chance I get...Even when I am supposed to be saving up for Christmas and such ;) :D :D

nicepix

Reaction score
I thought that the lower Derwent was controlled by the dam at Ladybower?

The Derwent below Ladybower should not be as badly affected by flooding as similar sized freestone rivers such as the Wharfe. In my experience the floodwater of the Derwent at Darley Dale and Calver was nowhere near as bad as the Dearne, Don and Nth. Yorkshire rivers.

riverrovingross

Reaction score
Your right the Derwent isn't as badly effected as others but even so its still in a bad way. 5oz leads won't hold bottom at the minute. And normally I can hold bottom with 20g sometimes less.

I don't think I will ever sell my tackle I've spent too much time in picking the right bits for me and I'm just about to fork out for a top notch trotting rod.

I'm finally getting my dad back on the river bank after 14 years so you be able to imagine how excited I am, he got me hooked 16years ago. So there's another reason il never sell my tackle haha.

I'm confident that next year will be better than this season.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought that the lower Derwent was controlled by the dam at Ladybower?

The Derwent below Ladybower should not be as badly affected by flooding as similar sized freestone rivers such as the Wharfe. In my experience the floodwater of the Derwent at Darley Dale and Calver was nowhere near as bad as the Dearne, Don and Nth. Yorkshire rivers.
That Dam was there in 1964 when the river in Matlock came up 25 ft!!!

Also , where do you think the excess water goes to? They can only pump so much water in to the mains. How do I know this, my friend works for Severn Trent ;)

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bet he tells everyone ;)

He might be right there Ross, you get a lot of folk telling you tales on (of) the river bank, I tend to take no notice! I remember in the 80s, a guy I used to talk to when I was on patrol as a volunteer ranger telling me that an old pit lagoon he swam in as a kid was Bottomless, turns out that the local kids could walk across it...Near on 3ft in at the deepest!!!

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I've just been on the ea website and found it quite helpfull the Derwent has been slowly dropping for the last 24hours but is stil 4-5ft high haha. Hopefully we won't get as much rain as they said

bigfish74

Reaction score
Just heard on the radio that this year was the wettest ever lets hope next year is better but personaly id rather have extra water than low lime a few years ago

Andy

riverrovingross

Reaction score
Been on the river today still high but what a day I had 15 grayling and 2 trout and lost a good trout also watched a bloke catch 4 roach over 1lb and I weighed one to 1lb 6oz. So you shouldn't need any clues to where I'm going tomorrow ;)

I love the river :)

riverrovingross

Reaction score
I beat my pb for chub by 3oz today :D and I am we'll pleased! I know it's not a massive chub but my pb is now 3lb 11oz! I'm going to keep at it. This weekend will be nothing but river fishing and an attempt to break my pb again. Ill upload a photo later