Price of groundBait

georgem18

Reaction score
:eek:mg: Now then,

Having just realized how stupidly priced groundbait is in the shops/on the web i've started making my own by drying out bread, crushing it up and mixing it with about 40% carp fishmeal groundbait off the market.

does anyone else do here this?, surely im not the only one who refuses to pay such ludicrous prices.

secondly, why is it so exspensive, am i missing something in terms of ingredients or are they just charging these prices because they can, most groundbaits are made from mostly breadcrumb anyway, but even a 1kg bag of breadcrumb is a few quid :confused:

Also does anyone have any ideas about what else i could add to my homemade groundbait to make it more appealing, and if you use groundbait, what does yours contain?

Thanks, George.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I make my own, a mixture of crumb and Vitalin, a type of dried dog food. Blitz the vitalin in a blender, up to you how fine you make it. Add hot water to the vitalin and leave it to soak for 10 minutes, then add crumb until you reach the consistency you`re after.

You can add molasses to give it a sweet flavour. You could also add particles like hemp, sweetcorn, pellets, sea salt, pepper, chilli, in fact pretty much any spice, throw in a can of tuna. You can add custard powder or angel delight, vanilla or caramel essence etc. Food dyes added to the water can colour it.

fruitowl

Reaction score
go to your local supermarket go to the instore bakery and ask if they could save you a bag of bread crumbs from the slicing machine normally they will and best of all they will probably be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :w

B

Berty

go to your local supermarket go to the instore bakery and ask if they could save you a bag of bread crumbs from the slicing machine normally they will and best of all they will probably be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :w

Asda are best, Tesco are miserable *******s! :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I keep all my bread ends, I slice it thin and put it in an old weigh sling and hang it in the garage, its then ready to be whizzed up in an old food processor for crumb or used for mash.
What you add to it depends on what you want it to do and tbh nothing is off limits, from broken biscuits and stale cake to anything off the pet food counter and of course there is all the crushed pellets you can think of. Tbh you could write a book on it.

peterjg

Reaction score
I keep all the old bread, break it up, hang it up in nets in the green house, grind it up in a food processor, add either anniseed powder or garam masala - can be used in cage feeders or as straight groundbait - harden if necessary with ground vitalin.

David Dalton

Reaction score
I think that we are often being ripped off with what we pay for commercial groundbaits. I believe that a lot of them consist primarily of ground up discarded biscuits.

I use liquidised bread very often - clean, cheap and effective. You may find this article by Archie Braddock interesting, where he gives the recipe for a cheap grounbait mix made from breadcrumb and bran:

Archie's economical groundbait mix | Quest Baits Blog