A Trip to Ascension Island

• Thread starter trev matthews (100M bronze)
  • Start date
T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Gosh thats brought back some very happy memories. I was only on Asi for a week but I had a great time. The tuna fishing is brilliant, even better on a barbie when its been freshly caught.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Those Jacks look like theycould goa few rounds with any angler, a very good read and some nice photos.

B.JOHN

Reaction score
Lovely story Dave you've brought back a few very fond memories for me!

I was stationed on Ascenscion for 6 months back in 1994/95 whilst in the RAF it is as you described a very surreal but wonderful place.

I remember the black puffers(or black fish as we called them) we used to go swimming down English Bayamongst them their was quite a few rocks around and if you scraped yourself against one you'd have to get out of the water a bit lively as 100's ofblack fish would be after you!!!!

I wasn't into fishing then but was persuaded to got one saturday morning(still a bit worse for wear) Tuna fishing on the boat.We didn't catch any Tuna that day but we did catch quite a few Black Jacks.They where all over 15 pounds some over 20 if my memory serves me right but we was a couple of 100 metres from shore.We actually took some back to our digs and cut them up and babrbequed them in garlic and they tasted absolutely disgusting!!!

Anyway top story Dave it brought back some nice memories cheers! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

D

David Marrs

Cheers Fella's, initially gutted at missing the autumn Zandering, looking back it was a great experience. By god do those BlackJacks scrap!!!

David West 2

Reaction score
Ascension_Tuna_-_225lbs.jpg

Tuna_on_16lb_stand_up_-_no_contest!.jpg

Ascension_Tuna_-_175lbs.jpg

During the Summer months when the 'google eyes' (Scad) are there in unreal numbers instead of the Blackfish, the Triggers, you'll find big Amberjack and even Yellowfin harassing them literally on that left hand side of the Pier Head. And floating out baits on balloons (or kites) you can hook (not necessarily land)100lb plus Yellowfin from the shore. Some of our Club members tried that last year. There're the Galapagos Sharks as well that you can catch from the shore.

Offshore the two game boats (um ... there's only one left now. They managed to drop Shy 3 whilst attempting to lift it onto Pier Head a couple of weeks ago.) used to put down moorings in 600' on one of the drop offs. We used to freeline chunks for Tuna there. Or the masochists amongst us used to bottom fish for the Six Gill Sharks. The bottom seemed to be carpeted with them as they came up out of the even deeper water. The quickest bite I recall, once the bait touched bottom, was 39 seconds. And the biggest one of our members released was an estimated 1500 pounder. Big? Well, some of the Marlin hooked were approaching that size! Most were released but the largest I saw weighed went 1146lbs and the first month travel to the island was opened up to 'Joe Public' an American boat landed a fish of 1337lbs.

Yup, you're right an incredible fishery if somewhat expensive to get to - over £900 return via RAF transport. That's of course if you're not a member of the Armed Forces. I sense though its days are 'numbered'. Our Foreign Office in conjunction with the Americans seem to be working to create a strategic base in the same way we 'sold out' the natives on Diega Garcia in the Indian Ocean. The contract labourers are precisely that - what happens about those born on the island might be another matter - and despite the island's administration effortsto expand their economy and sell freehold of property it was blocked by the F.O.

So, if you have the chance get down there SOON. As well as what Dave described the vertical jigging is also exceptional.

Back to the Tuna -and I've (hopefully) attached images of a 175 and 225 pounder - the first time I fished there we had massive strikes, but no hook ups, from what we were fairly certain were Bluefin Tuna, fish in the 7 to 800lb range.

Dave

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Looks absolutely fantastic a saline nirvana.

The pub looks a bit drab, Nobbys' Nightclub could remedy that.

D

David Marrs

lol Nobby, there's actually quite a thriving little social scene going on. I'd love to visit again one day if I get the option, lovely climate, friendly people, cheap beer and some of the best fishing I've ever seen.

N

Nobby C (ACA)

.and hire out the hilltop lodge, who's up for it?

Been observing from a distance for some time, it's having both the time and the money in conjunction that's the issue for me.Is it still going to be available to civvies for the time being?Any ideas when the best times to visit (dangling wise) are?

David West 2

Reaction score
Nobb,

Yup as far as I'm aware the 'farm' is still available and relatively cheap. It's in an absolutely stunning location. You can hire it through the staff at the Obsidian Hotel together with the car. Ah, the car? No power steering and, from memory, 22 hairpins - 180s - to negotiate. And, during April, remember to avoid the big orange land crabs.

Bars. There's one in, is it One or Two, Boats and the NAFFI and at the Obsidian but the two we preferred were the Volcano Club on the American base and the Saints Club in town. You can use sterling in the 'VC' but chance is always in 'greenbacks'.

Fishingwise the summer months are probably best for the shore fishing and the Tuna from small boats that Dave was catching. You can catch Galapagos Sharks from several points around the island but a boat trip round to Bird Island - um, it's a BIT pongy - will yield more. At times it's impossible to get the Black Jacks up through the Sharks.

Also in February through to April when the Green Turtles are egg laying some very respectable sized Tiger Sharks lurk inshore. And I've seen Dorado and Rainbow Runner right in on the shoreline.

The jigging for Amberjack and Almaco Jacks is good at any time of the year and some of those fish run to over 100lbs in weight.

So back to your question it's good year round but for sheer numbers of Yellowfin (a determining factor?)mid June to August is probably best.

Dave

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Sound advice, thanks Dave, got a 10 week contract coming up should pay for the holidays.

D

David Marrs

I'll vouch for the VC club - good range of quality beer and atmosphere, plus a few of the lads enjoyed the pizza bar next door. Myself, I enjoyed the Saints bar too - good venue with friendly folks and some absolutely awesome photo's on the wall and the added bonus of only being a short walk from the pier!!!

Trebor

Reaction score
Disco Dave,

That was a brilliant read, I really enjoyed it. Not sure if they are the same species exactly, but I recall seeing some Jacks which were jet black all over on the barrier reef in Australia a few years back.

Cheers,

Trebor

David West 2

Reaction score
Trebor - That may have been a Black Jack, they're global in distribution in sub tropical seas. Alternatively it could have been a Giant Trevally. Based on location I've seen some that are black, rather than silver. But then not all Black Jacks are 'black'! I've attached an image of a 13 pounder that I caught off Ascension at night on the fly, on a 6lb tippet.

What was I doing messing about with that tackle? Well we'd spotted a small shoal of world record sized Horse Eyed Jacks alongside an anchored tanker but this beat them to the fly!
13lb_Black_Jack_on_fly.jpg

D

David Marrs

Trebor - many thanks indeed for the kind words mate. Those 'BlackJacks' indeed aren't all black, some are a lovely metallic silvery blue colour but above all else, if they lived in this country there'd be a 'BlackJack' club because they are ACE!!!

Kind regards,

Dave