Beach Casting

q0j0p

Reaction score
I've been making short lobs with an egg beater for Cornish Bass and Bream for decades, but after moving up to Blackburn I need to learn how to cast 'properly'. I've just bought a Daiwa 7ht turbo.... but sadly, It's not proving easy... anyone nearby willing to offer advice.
BB3 for those near or try to get to NW cast when work allows.
Thanks in advance
Darren

chav professor

Reaction score
I read book after book on pendulum casting - which was apparently a few steps off the off-the-ground cast i could do and got into all sorts of muddles. Studying diagrams about which direction my feet should face, where the lead should be at certain parts of the cast etc:eek:mg:

It came together when i was shown the cast in action.

Top tips: When using a multiplier (with a knot joining a leader to the main line) slippages are painful - get some bicycle inner tube and cut of inch long sections to use as a thumb stall - it protects your thumb and reduces slippages caused when loading up your rod. You will cast further!

personally, I time a pendulum cast better with reel in the 'down' position - its just me - I can't pendulum cast with the reel 'up'.

Nothing messes up a days fishing more than a serious birds nest - I haven't used the 7HT turbo - but have a set of the 7HT reels - they are bomb proof and easier than most reels to cast with. Adjust the spindle using the side plate knobs so that the reel is not too free running to start off with -(you can also 'tune' the reel by dismantling the reel, cleaning out the old oil in the bearing and using a 'tuning oil' suggest as 'Rocket fuel oil' the yellow one is ideal!) Start off on the conservative side - you can always loosen up the reel and let it run a bit when you are confidently casting.

Finally - Join a sea angling club! Someone will be able to show you the basic mechanics of casting - but don't forget - after dark, even cod can come in remarkably close to the shore. The biggest flaw of power casters in fishing matches is they always cast to the horizon - the smart anglers work out where the fish are and how far out......;)

aebitim

Reaction score
Like chav I use 7 hts on my centuries, best advice is to start with the off the ground style until you get used to the reel. Slow start fast finish keep it smooth dont use too long a shock leader and start with 20lb line.

chav professor

Reaction score
Like chav I use 7 hts on my centuries, best advice is to start with the off the ground style until you get used to the reel. Slow start fast finish keep it smooth dont use too long a shock leader and start with 20lb line.

Centuries? I have a pair of Tip Tornado Matches... awesome beach-casting rods.. Personally have a preference for ABU CT mag elites. seem to collect reels after a time..lol

aebitim

Reaction score
You and me both, I have 2 century ignitors, a daiwa tournament beach, a Slosh 30, 2 slosh 20, 2 7ht, abu 7000, 6500 mag elite, 6000, 5500 left wind. Thats before we get onto the fixed spool stuff. Funny thing is I live on Portland and can see Chesil beach out of my window and all I want to do is drive 60 miles round trip to catch roach chub and barbel or 300 miles to fish the Wye.

chav professor

Reaction score
You and me both, I have 2 century ignitors, a daiwa tournament beach, a Slosh 30, 2 slosh 20, 2 7ht, abu 7000, 6500 mag elite, 6000, 5500 left wind. Thats before we get onto the fixed spool stuff. Funny thing is I live on Portland and can see Chesil beach out of my window and all I want to do is drive 60 miles round trip to catch roach chub and barbel or 300 miles to fish the Wye.

Only fished Chesil for mackerel - family holiday! Stunning coastline....... Got a bit boring after reaching the 100 mark..lol.. Sea bream off the harbor walls was always a bit of fun fishing with rag at 25p a pop - bit tough on someone who used to dig 4lb on a good tide.

To be honest, digging bait was part of the fun/part of the bind of it... Rag and lug are sparse and fiercely competed for.. Catching spring tides at 2am to dig whites 70miles away and then rush back for work... crab traps... I still have the bait fridges.

Do I miss it? I don't think my marriage would have sustained it and she is rather sweet:eek:

I can get obsessional about Chub and get away with it:wh

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By 7HT turbo, do you mean the blue 7HT Magnofuge reel?

This reel works on centrifugal force in that the faster the spool spins, the further out the centrifuge throws the brake-magnets and the more braking effect they have.

Therefore, if you try to hit the horizon every time, the less chance of a birdsnest you have. Equally if you go for a 30 yard lob into the breakers, you will overrun every time!

If the reel you are referring to is just a version of the ordinary 7HT, I suggest you deploy all the brake blocks available, tighten up the end tension a bit and put car engine oil in the bearings. That should slow things down a bit!