New Year Aims & Ambitions?

B

binka

Just wondered if anyone is planning their fishing for the new year with any particular aims and ambitions or just getting off out there without the pressure of setting personal goals?

For me it will be spending more of the summer months on the river instead of the lake and getting to more new venues and stretches, i'm also gonna be on a drive to reduce my bait bill so I could well be trying new things which always keeps things interesting.

Anyone else have anything in mind?

chav professor

Reaction score
Well, it has to be 100 Chub over the 4lb mark in a year.... Tough, but do-able.

I would also like to add some rivers in East Anglia region that I have intended to fish, but for one reason or another have not got around too.

I like setting goals. To be meaningful, they have to be aspirational, but with a realistic chance of success.

B

Berty

Simply to fish more next year.......for one reason or another i have fished less this year than any other.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
to do more fishing , to fish a river , to catch a 10lb + carp that isn't foul hooked , to watch Albion play Barcelona in the Champions League.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You know what, forget Barbel, carp, pike etc, I am going to try for that elusive big perch, they are out there some where!

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

to do more fishing , to fish a river , to catch a 10lb + carp that isn't foul hooked , to watch Albion play Barcelona in the Champions League.

You believe in fairies then Benny? :D :D :D

Happy Christmas mate to you and yours :)

cg74

Reaction score
I like setting goals. To be meaningful, they have to be aspirational, but with a realistic chance of success.

You echo my thoughts and my goals are an 8lb+ chub and a 14lb+ bream, though the latter is probably easier, I just don't have enough drive/motivation to get one.

So the chances are it'll remain an ambition.

David Dalton

Reaction score
" I am going to try for that elusive big perch, they are out there some where!"

I'm with you on that Mark. I had a 3lb river perch this year - next year I want a four!

chav professor

Reaction score
You echo my thoughts and my goals are an 8lb+ chub and a 14lb+ bream, though the latter is probably easier, I just don't have enough drive/motivation to get one.

So the chances are it'll remain an ambition.

I missed out on the opportunity of 'easy' big bream fishing on my doorstep - a fish kill put a stop to it. There were bream coming out at 13 and 14lb and the venue threatened to topple the record..... Goes to show, if you know the fish are there - best to take advantage. I did manage a double on my first trip - perhaps indicative that a second cohort may be coming through.

As for the Chub - the population dynamics are stacked against singling out the few bigger specimens on most of my venues. I figure if you do the right thing frequently enough - that side of things will take care of itself.

There are some odd venues throwing up the odd '7' here and there.... Perhaps another target I have yet to explore is trying chunks of lamprey, sardine or mackeral for Chub - I often wonder if the odd freak fish is doing something different to give it an advantage.

aebitim

Reaction score
For me the challenge is going to be the carp in the Dorset Stour, I have seen a few possible 20s and want to get one before the otters eat them all.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I missed out on the opportunity of 'easy' big bream fishing on my doorstep - a fish kill put a stop to it. There were bream coming out at 13 and 14lb and the venue threatened to topple the record..... Goes to show, if you know the fish are there - best to take advantage. I did manage a double on my first trip - perhaps indicative that a second cohort may be coming through.

As for the Chub - the population dynamics are stacked against singling out the few bigger specimens on most of my venues. I figure if you do the right thing frequently enough - that side of things will take care of itself.

There are some odd venues throwing up the odd '7' here and there.... Perhaps another target I have yet to explore is trying chunks of lamprey, sardine or mackeral for Chub - I often wonder if the odd freak fish is doing something different to give it an advantage.

You definately need to strike while the iron is hot if big fish are present. I have missed out on some clonking fish in the past.

If you use said baits identified in your quote, fish one of those ultra supple traces but also, when crimping the hook on, also crimp a length of mono, to act as the hair. You can then connect the bait via the hair for improved presentation and reduced abortive takes.

terry m

Reaction score
For me the challenge is going to be the carp in the Dorset Stour, I have seen a few possible 20s and want to get one before the otters eat them all.

Reckon you need to make a start right away of you want to beat the otters, they have made real inroads into the stocks at Throop.

For me the perenial quest for a 30lb pike continues, one day, one day!!

B

binka

For me the perenial quest for a 30lb pike continues, one day, one day!!

Good luck Terry, i'm sure you'll crack it.

It will probably happen when you least expect it on a method you least expect it on, my only 30+ came from one of Walter Bowers lakes whilst stood up to the top of my waders in a reedy corner wobbling a trout deadbait.

I was literally at the point of lifting out right in front of me when the biggest head appeared that I had ever seen and snatched the bait, and the next few minutes were nervous ones to say the least.

The icing on the cake was my neighbour finding a disposable camera in his bag (pre-mobile phone days) and managing a half decent picture.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
To try to get around to doing some of my 2012 ambitions on fishing, WEATHER permitting! Well, at least I'm recycling. That and hoping to stop as many of these bloody hydro projects as possible before they foul up our fishing for year to come.

chav professor

Reaction score
To try to get around to doing some of my 2012 ambitions on fishing, WEATHER permitting! Well, at least I'm recycling. That and hoping to stop as many of these bloody hydro projects as possible before they foul up our fishing for year to come.

Its the battle that needs to be won up and down the country - perhaps this could be the single issue that anglers can unite over - Its certainly a battle the Angling Trust is determined to win!

Terry D

Reaction score
Just going to get out on the bank more next year, especially as now I don't have to paint the house, rebuild the bathroom, rebuild the kitchen etc. It was a very busy year but things are looking a lot brighter now.