fly fishing for carp!

cuperjames

Reaction score
hi, im looking to go fly fishing for carp and i was wondering can you catch carp on the fly on any carp water or do you need to be on a water where the carp are fed on the top ? thanks alot james :)

goonch

Reaction score
Any water. Though some definitely do respond better to surface baits.

Oh, and don't listen to the regulars if they say the carp in such and such water never look up. Try it and find out for yourself. You'll often be pleasantly surprised :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi, im looking to go fly fishing for carp and i was wondering can you catch carp on the fly on any carp water or do you need to be on a water where the carp are fed on the top ? thanks alot james :)

I once caught a grass carp on the fly many years ago when fishing for trout at Barlow fisheries, not by design though. I have caught chub and perch on the Chesterfield Canal in Worksop, great sport on the fly!

mac 10

Reaction score
Hello mate,

I'm from a fly fishing background and new to coarse fishing.

I've fly fished for carp a few times. First thing is to check you are allowed to do it on the fishery you intend to fish. Most coarse fisheries in my experience don't allow it anyway so make sure you check.

Use strong leader, at least 8lb. When they first take they will run hard, you need strong leader.

You can use deer hair type flies in shades of brown and feed dog biscuits first or white foam or bread flake type flies and feed pieces of bread first.

It is fantastic sport, they fight better than trout pound for pound in my opinion.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,

Nick.