Hello from Split shot

split shot

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself on FM. I hope I'll be able to contribute some useful comment and content.

I'd describe myself as an all-rounder/specimen hunter, though I have spent time on the dark side too (match fishing). I know one end of a fly rod from the other, though I would describe myself as enthusiastic rather than competent!
I'm a regular sea boat angler, though the weather has won far too often this year.

Living in deepest darkest Norfolk, I'm surrounded by waters of all types, but angling here is rapidly changing for the worse, there is no future for any specimen fishing unless you're surrounded by an otter fence.

I've drifted away from carp fishing in recent years because I can't find fish I want to catch which aren't affected by the otter menace.
I'm doing more river fishing than I have for years, making the most of the roach fishing on the Yare and what's left of the chub on the Wensum (the barbel have almost all become otter food sadly).

bigfish74

Reaction score
Hello slitshot from a fellow fm newbie sad to see your fishing grounds are in decline seems its happening everywere were at a loss as to were our roach dace and chubblet shoals have gone to and after witnessing no fewer than 17 coemorants last week and another 10 yesterday its no surpprise really enjoy it whilst you can

Andy

split shot

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Bigfish74, actually roach are doing well here, very well in some places. The Yare is stuffed with them. A session on the waggler usually yields 10-20lb for me, which is good fun now and again.

Also on my last Wensum session, I did catch quite a few chublets, which is encouraging as it has been unusual to see them in recent years. Fingers crossed the floods at the moment are giving the spawning sites a good clean.
There are some huge roach about too, not on the rivers but in some of the carp waters. One local water is starting to produce big 3s and the odd 4.
Same goes for perch, some monsters thriving in a few waters.

I seen cormorants on our waters over the last 30 years, I've seen them clear waters out and I've seen those waters recover. But that seems to be changing, roach have changed their behaviour to survive. Waters, around here at least, don't appear to be effected anywhere near as badly as they once did, even though cormorant numbers seem just as large.

Pike fishing is in decline in the area, which is sad as we have such a rich heritage of big pike on the broads. The exception again are the fenced lake fisheries.

The problem we have is lots of anglers and a falling number of viable fisheries.

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Bigfish74, actually roach are doing well here, very well in some places. The Yare is stuffed with them. A session on the waggler usually yields 10-20lb for me, which is good fun now and again.

Also on my last Wensum session, I did catch quite a few chublets, which is encouraging as it has been unusual to see them in recent years. Fingers crossed the floods at the moment are giving the spawning sites a good clean.
There are some huge roach about too, not on the rivers but in some of the carp waters. One local water is starting to produce big 3s and the odd 4.
Same goes for perch, some monsters thriving in a few waters.

I seen cormorants on our waters over the last 30 years, I've seen them clear waters out and I've seen those waters recover. But that seems to be changing, roach have changed their behaviour to survive. Waters, around here at least, don't appear to be effected anywhere near as badly as they once did, even though cormorant numbers seem just as large.

Pike fishing is in decline in the area, which is sad as we have such a rich heritage of big pike on the broads. The exception again are the fenced lake fisheries.

The problem we have is lots of anglers and a falling number of viable fisheries.

Thats an interesting observation - I agree from my own experiences that Roach and even Chub have changed their behavior to avoid predation by cormorants.

It does not help the match boys on pegged river matches though - as there are hundreds of meters of river practically devoid of fish - this has caused many to leave river fishing locally - but they are still there - just have to know where to look.