Decathlon

seksee

Reaction score
I was driving past Decathlon earlier today and decided to pop in to see what fishing bits they have. The last time I looked at their gear, they didn't have very much. Just a few bits of their own brand stuff and most of it was pretty rubbish to be honest. But today I was surprised to find that they had a wide range of Dynamite, Sensas and other brands and they were cheap too!

Anyway, they had some of their own brand (Caperlan) "4x4 Groundbait" on offer at 5 x 2kg bags for £10 - so it works out at £1 per kilo which I thought was pretty cheap! So, as I love a bargain, I bought myself 5 bags.

Has anybody had any experience of this stuff? I won't get chance to try it out for a few weeks... I was planning on adding some hemp, corn, pellets etc. to it for the method feeder, do you think this stuff will work?

Here are the ingredients:
Corn 30%
Rye Bread Crumbs 20%
Dried Copra 20%
Biscuit 20%
Ground Linseed 10%

Either way.. I don't think you can go wrong for £1 per kilo!

nicepix

Reaction score
My car had to go in for a wheel bearing changing the other day and while I was waiting I popped into the Limoges Decathalon. Like the OP I was gobsmacked at the range of things on offer. Last time I visited a nearby Decathalon in Angouleme it had very little choice.

There were 10 & 25 kilo sacks of bread crumbs, maize flour, ground maize particles, maize pellets, hemp seed, ground hemp seed and several ready made mixes plus large bags of pellets and boilies all at ridiculously inexpensive prices compared to tackle shops.

At the moment I get my groundbait free courtesy of the landlord / farmer from whom we rent the cottage, but if things change I would have no hesitation in getting some of their base ingredients and adding in some chicken pellets or cat biscuits.

I wasn't too impressed with the Caperlain reels, but they had some Shimanos and Daiwas on offer that were comparable to UK prices. For some reason reels in France are the dearest in Europe like for like.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My car had to go in for a wheel bearing changing the other day and while I was waiting I popped into the Limoges Decathalon. Like the OP I was gobsmacked at the range of things on offer. Last time I visited a nearby Decathalon in Angouleme it had very little choice.

There were 10 & 25 kilo sacks of bread crumbs, maize flour, ground maize particles, maize pellets, hemp seed, ground hemp seed and several ready made mixes plus large bags of pellets and boilies all at ridiculously inexpensive prices compared to tackle shops.

At the moment I get my groundbait free courtesy of the landlord / farmer from whom we rent the cottage, but if things change I would have no hesitation in getting some of their base ingredients and adding in some chicken pellets or cat biscuits.

I wasn't too impressed with the Caperlain reels, but they had some Shimanos and Daiwas on offer that were comparable to UK prices. For some reason reels in France are the dearest in Europe like for like.

Bloody Frogs, allways trying to rip us Brits off :) Can't fault their Comte Cheese and Sancerre Wine though, superb combo :) And Alsace Riesling and Gewürztraminer are some of the best white wines in the world!

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark, I think like you that its sounds reasonable value tho I havent used it myself , (I was looking in Decathlon myself the other day while killing time in their free for an hour carpark but looking at the same time for some jogging bottoms0.
For good groundbait at a very reasonable price (comparable to Decathlon) I use the brown crumb from a pet food shop in Rotherham called Cookes --you may know it?.
I then add several ingrediants of my own choice in various ammounts to suit what I am fishing for on the day.
As good a product as you will ever need if you have experience with knocking up groundbaits in this way.
Far better than the overpriced/overstated products in shiney bags that sit on the tackle dealers shelves.