Would You?

M&B

Reaction score
Would you poach a stretch of water if you knew that you would not be caught? be honest!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If you know you can't be caught the water isn't worth poaching, any water that is worth paoching must have decent fish and therefore there will be a chance of being caught

B

binka

Yes I did once, and got caught but not moved on thanks to a sympathetic local baliff who accepted that there was no way I could have seen the sign (which I knew was there) as I approached the swim in darkness just before dawn.

It was many years ago on a Derby AA stretch at Sawley whilst fishing for pike (always good, if not slightly tiring due to the frequency, for us Notts lads to get one up one our Rammy neighbours... not referring to football and the European Cup, oh sorry I meant Cups), the last swim on the day ticket stretch was below the weir that you can see from the M1 in what is almost a corner with an impossible current heading straight at you and the first stretch of the permit water was a lovely deep, slow moving glide with an overhanging tree at the bottom of it.

And yes, three... all doubles :)

Last edited:

M&B

Reaction score
Its funny but the first peg on the next stretch of water always looks like a governer why's that I wonder, and I must admit I have been tempted.

B

binka

I can't say for sure but i'm led to believe that poaching is fishing a stretch of water adjacent to the banks of the controlled stretch so technically yes but maybe open to interpretation and challenge?

bigfish74

Reaction score
Yes just the once and the fact that there was no sign was my bail out :)

Andy

B

binka

Yes just the once and the fact that there was no sign was my bail out :)

Andy

I love signs, especially those that are a little too moss covered to be legible... or those that can't be seen in the dark, or the ones that just seem to disappear overnight for no reason whatsover other than they weren't planted firmly enough as to avoid being uprooted by the annual floods.

Only joking of course.

A-herm :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most definetly many times by accident sometimes but mostly by design.

terry m

Reaction score
In answer to the original question - yes, probably if there was anything worth catching in there.

As a kid I usedto poach all of the time, and was caught on the odd occasion, but it never really deterred me until I could afford to join the local angling club.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you know you can't be caught the water isn't worth poaching, any water that is worth paoching must have decent fish and therefore there will be a chance of being caught

My uncles Brother in law went fishing on the Derwent in Chatsworth park as the lady in the car park booth up at the ''house'' told him that he could fish if he had a licence (she meant permit of course!) so he presumed she just meant he could fish if he had a rod licence. Dave had only just moved up from Devon to live near his sister and mother and was a relative novice at the time so he knew no better! Within half an hour of him fishing (lead not fly) the Police and a very angry Bailiff turned up (the Chatsworth Bailiffs and gamekeepers are not pleasant folk) and asked what he was doing, Dave explained to them (only the Police were listening really!) what had happened and the Bobbies just gave him a ticking off.
At the time of said incident Dave happened to have his mother with him, who was confined to a wheel chair and under that chair was a little storage box and in that little box was a nice 4lb Brown Trout...Good job the Nasty Bailiff didn't notice that ;) :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My uncles Brother in law went fishing on the Derwent in Chatsworth park as the lady in the car park booth up at the ''house'' told him that he could fish if he had a licence (she meant permit of course!) so he presumed she just meant he could fish if he had a rod licence. Dave had only just moved up from Devon to live near his sister and mother and was a relative novice at the time so he knew no better! Within half an hour of him fishing (lead not fly) the Police and a very angry Bailiff turned up (the Chatsworth Bailiffs and gamekeepers are not pleasant folk) and asked what he was doing, Dave explained to them (only the Police were listening really!) what had happened and the Bobbies just gave him a ticking off.
At the time of said incident Dave happened to have his mother with him, who was confined to a wheel chair and under that chair was a little storage box and in that little box was a nice 4lb Brown Trout...Good job the Nasty Bailiff didn't notice that ;) :D

Bailiffs and gamekeppers are like that because they themselves were once poachers they know the game inside out if they are any good.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bailiffs and gamekeppers are like that because they themselves were once poachers they know the game inside out if they are any good.

There used to be a Gamekeeper on the Hardwick Estate near me who used to go round with a gang of thugs and they actually used to beat people up! The said Gamekeeper got the sack for steeling the Estates Game Birds and got three years inside for GBH! A really nasty fellow he was!

When I was a young lad my dad, who as been a Rabbiting and hare coursing man all his life was offered a job as a Gamekeeper in the Highlands, but my mum refused to go as she did not want to take us out of school. Oh what a different path my life may have taken if we had gone.

chav professor

Reaction score
I had been fishing a 'private stretch' with no club control for a number of years.... the land owner finally caught up with me eventually (A landed gentleman with a family title) - after an initially difficult and awkward conversation. It was known he was hostile to the idea of anglers fishing on his land.

It so happened I had picked up some rubbish in my tackle bag from an area someway from where I was caught... We shared concerns about developments planned in the vicinity and was as passionate about the river and surrounding environment as myself. this was a meeting of minds. He took my number.... Which I dutifully gave. As much as anything, he was interested in looking into renting out 'fishing rights' - he was interested in my knowledge of how much attention the stretch received (effectively poached)..... Landowners are concerned about the potential trouble that comes with unbridled access.

No club is looking to take on any water in this area..... The river fishing is seen as a dying sport. I now have permission to fish! Treat people with respect and their places.... it can go a long way.....

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had been fishing a 'private stretch' with no club control for a number of years.... the land owner finally caught up with me eventually (A landed gentleman with a family title) - after an initially difficult and awkward conversation. It was known he was hostile to the idea of anglers fishing on his land.

It so happened I had picked up some rubbish in my tackle bag from an area someway from where I was caught... We shared concerns about developments planned in the vicinity and was as passionate about the river and surrounding environment as myself. this was a meeting of minds. He took my number.... Which I dutifully gave. As much as anything, he was interested in looking into renting out 'fishing rights' - he was interested in my knowledge of how much attention the stretch received (effectively poached)..... Landowners are concerned about the potential trouble that comes with unbridled access.

No club is looking to take on any water in this area..... The river fishing is seen as a dying sport. I now have permission to fish! Treat people with respect and their places.... it can go a long way.....

I once got invited to fish a beck in the dales when I befriended the farmer who's land I was camping on...He liked that I was from farming stock and the fact that I was passionate about caring for the countryside! He also asked me to bring my Air rifle with me and clear out the vermin (rats) as he had no time himself to do it.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I once got invited to fish a beck in the dales when I befriended the farmer who's lad I was camping on...He liked that I was from farming stock and the fact that I was passionate about caring for the countryside! He also asked me to bring my Air rifle with me and clear out the vermin (rats) as he had no time himself to do it.

Might want to proof read that Mark.....:D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What you say is very true as I have found myself if you get caught all you can do is face the conceqences and always be polite. I like yourself have made some very good contacts and even friends in this way.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might want to proof read that Mark.....:D

Well Spotted Sir...Gold star for you then :D

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

What you say is very true as I have found myself if you get caught all you can do is face the conceqences and always be polite. I like yourself have made some very good contacts and even friends in this way.

My Brother got some superb shooting in the Peak Park through is Dry stone and hedge laying Business...Just by being well mannered and polite and of course doing a good job also helps!