Winter perch fishing

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking to have a go at lure fishing for perch on the 2 local canals (Lancaster and the Leeds and Liverpool) I heard there are nice perch in the L&L canal but not seen anything about the Lancaster canal ? Also would I be able to perch fish during the colder months ? Or only when we have a warmer spell like the current weather ? Thanks Alex

thomasb

Reaction score
Use a 'texas jig' with a small plastic worm for slower water. The rig is a free-running in line ball lead- as light as possible - with a plastic bead as a knot protector above a small swivel. Use a 10" leader and a rubber worm mounted on a long shank hook with the hook proud. Twitch the rig so that the lead clinks against the plastic bead. This is better than using weighted jig heads as the worm is weightless. I find slow twitched rubber worms outfish spinners.

aebitim

Reaction score
A small mepps baited with a fat worm and retrieved slowly

markdj

Reaction score
i always found the 3" fox chubby shads in roach pattern did the trick for me, any time of year, let em sink, give it 20 secs then lift the rod tip, as they are usually watching it, waiting for it to move......however, im not sure if they still make them lures anymore, its a shame as they are brilliant for perch and small jacks, but you could try the kopyto relax shads with different weight jig heads, i have some 1" ones, which even tiny perch will have a go at

failing that, as already stated, a mepps spinner generally does the job, make sure you have a little bit of red wool on the treble, they seem to like that

hope this helps..

mark