Recommend a reel

Colin Brett

Reaction score
For barracuda/predatorfishing in the Bahamas. Fixed spool with a good capacity.

Thanks

nicepix

Reaction score
Penn Liveliner in 560 or 760 dependent on your needs. Probably the toughest fixed spool reel on the market.

Check out deals on eBay.de for best prices. ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How much do want to spend?
I use Shimano American Baitrunners (Baitrunners D series) for my Barbel fishing in the 4000 size but the 8000 is about right for what you intend fishing for. The D series are absolutely superb and very, very strong as they were made for the American salt water game fishing market, the reels handle screws directly in to the gears too which makes for a really superb bomb proof reel. pick one up for around £150.
If money is no object then you could go higher up the Shimano tree or take a look at the Daiwa Saltiga range, stunning reels, but you could go even higher, Daiwa have just released the ultimate spinning reel, it comes in at just under a grand :eek:

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Thanks both, I've passed on your recommendations to my friend. I'd already looked at the Saltiga reels and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. I knew they were expensive as Mike Green has one/some that he used for his GT fishing in the Seychelles.
I think something from the Penn range is what he will go for.

Thanks again.

nicepix

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint, I'm not a Yorkshireman. I'm not going to decry it, but me claiming such would be a travesty to proper Yorkies.;):p

You would appear to have absorbed our qualities. Before you know it you will be uttering the famous Yorkshire war cry; "HOW MUCH?"

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Thanks both, I've passed on your recommendations to my friend. I'd already looked at the Saltiga reels and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. I knew they were expensive as Mike Green has one/some that he used for his GT fishing in the Seychelles.
I think something from the Penn range is what he will go for.

Thanks again.

Just be aware that with the Penn you can't disengage the anti-reverse.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You would appear to have absorbed our qualities. Before you know it you will be uttering the famous Yorkshire war cry; "HOW MUCH?"

Sorry I have a friend from Barnsley and he assured me (and anyone who will listen!) that Sheffield is not in Yorkshire! Sorry, but he is 95 so you have to forgive him and anyway he is an ex guardsman so I am not going to argue with him!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A Daiwa Tournament EX1000 if you can get hold of one. made for the job.

nicepix

Reaction score
Sorry I have a friend from Barnsley and he assured me (and anyone who will listen!) that Sheffield is not in Yorkshire! Sorry, but he is 95 so you have to forgive him and anyway he is an ex guardsman so I am not going to argue with him!

Unfortunately Sheffield is a burden that we have to bear.

mick b

Reaction score
Essentials for overseas fishing are
NO anti-reverse and a Front drag!

Before the Stellas and Saltigas the reel of choice was the Penn Spinfisher range 6500, 7500 and 8500 and the 6500 Baitrunner with the aluminium spool.
On the Spinfisher we used to fit double anti-reverse dogs and on the Shim a screw was inserted thro the body (an Aussie modification).
The drag surface of front drags is far greater than any rear drag and as an example the Penn 6500 has the same drag washers as the 4/0 Penn Senator.
All the above have aluminium bodies, an essential when heavy loads are encountered.
Biggest problem is that all serious sea reels only come with one spool, something a traveling angler needs to bear in mind before buying.
And remember that reels spooled with line cannot be taken onboard an aircraft, therefore the body goes in a carry-on bag and the spools in the hold.