Zig rigs

terry m

Reaction score
Not me Phil.

I think that zigs are a real confidence rig, unfortunately I have had so little success with them that I have little confidence using them!!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Roach and bream! I was going to do an article about fishing for roach on commercials with the zig. I found out accidentally that a floating pellet fished at about half depth really works well sometimes.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Quite a bit of success with carp over the years (nothing else) on a zigged (unflavoured) cork ball during the colder months about 2' off bottom with a roving approach - the takes can be almost instant when you find where the fish are.
Jerry
PS doesn't surprise me about the silvers as you describe Sean (even tench during the warmer months) , not a method I'd use though on club waters.

Keith M

Reaction score
Back in the late 80s and early 90s (before the term 'zig rigs' came in) we used to fish an estate lake which had over a foot of soft silt topped with weed growth covering the bottom. A lead would immediately sink deep into this silt and often drag a bait with it.

One of the things we tried where soft bouyant jelly baits suspended from the bottom at half depth and allthough we were after Carp we caught Roach, Rudd, Carp and some large Bream which we didn't expect at mid depth.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I don't know if you could strictly call it 'Zig rigging', but a piece of floating crust or a Locust suspended just beneath or on the surface can be deadly for chub. its a great way to get a bait under a raft for example or tethered against a weed bed.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
And predators of course. I've caught catfish, pike, zeds and carp(!!) on surface or sub-surface presented livebaits, popped up from a lead on the bottom.