Barbel Noob

bones71

Reaction score
I want to fish the Severn somewhere around Ironbridge/Bridgnorth soon,does anyone have any advice on venues?I'm not after monsters,just to get a feel for it.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
how soon, before you go i would check.......

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Have you fished the severn before in high water ?....if levels are safe and your confident try some baa waters, plenty of them around bridgnorth...before you go maybe ring a local tackle shop to see if the river is fishable....it can change very fast

good luck
Jason

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd leave it until the levels are somewhere near normal then try the park in Ironbridge, It's nice and straight and holds a few decent fish.

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there's a tackle shop in Ironbridge that does day tickets accompanied by some venue advice.

B

Berty

I would also advise you leave it untill the river is more settled mate.

fruitowl

Reaction score
theres a stretch at coalport just below ironbridge that is free fishing have looked at going their myself but river levels are to much at the moment.
info from tackle shop in ironbridge on that one,
for bridgenorth the baa stretches also in the town a stretch called the meadows a day ticket info from either bridge tackle or middle severn angling in bridgnorth

Weeman

Reaction score
Try the Erdington (BAA) or Apsley stretches, both are day ticket (available from Bridgenorth Tackle) and close to the town itself.

Good fishing being right in the middle of 'Barbel Alley'.

Chevin

Reaction score
Here you are Titus. This is where the barbel are/were. I am not exactly sure of everything I did when I went about catching them, but more details can be found in my book "Barbel" (1976) or my guest chapter in Peter Wheat's book "The Fighting Barbel" (1967) The markers show the weir pool and where I caught barbel and chub.

Hemmingford Grey

img011zg.jpg

Incidentally, those who bought a Chevin rod which was made up to Alan Brown's death might be interested to know that I designed it for the "chub swim" shown in the picture. It wasn't an easy swim to fish in those days but the rewards were worthwhile when you got it right. The Chevin made it easier.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here you are Titus. This is where the barbel are/were. I am not exactly sure of everything I did when I went about catching them, but more details can be found in my book "Barbel" (1976) or my guest chapter in Peter Wheat's book "The Fighting Barbel" (1967) The markers show the weir pool and where I caught barbel and chub.

Hemmingford Grey

img011zg.jpg

Incidentally, those who bought a Chevin rod which was made up to Alan Brown's death might be interested to know that I designed it for the "chub swim" shown in the picture. It wasn't an easy swim to fish in those days but the rewards were worthwhile when you got it right. The Chevin made it easier.

Fantastic, which bit of the middle Severn is that?

Assuming you are Ian Howcroft my copy of your book 'Barbel' was published in 1975, so it was literally half a lifetime ago and I was 19 at the time, I'm not sure how long you have been out of the country but things have moved on a bit since then.
I personally think Understanding Barbel was the ultimate general barbel reference but even that is starting to look a little dated today, though many of the observations it contains are still relevant.

Chevin

Reaction score
Fantastic, which bit of the middle Severn is that?

Assuming you are Ian Howcroft my copy of your book 'Barbel' was published in 1975, so it was literally half a lifetime ago and I was 19 at the time, I'm not sure how long you have been out of the country but things have moved on a bit since then.
I personally think Understanding Barbel was the ultimate general barbel reference but even that is starting to look a little dated today, though many of the observations it contains are still relevant.

Absolutely, I made that point on several occasions in the other thread but you suggested that I told the guy concerned how to catch his first barbel. All of the dates of events were clearly detailed but you had obviously failed to read what I was saying. If you are going to ridicule and criticise others, you really must learn to read and understand what is being said.

It is because of your type of mindset that I rarely give advice on fishing at sites like this these days. Many like you assume that because of the dates of my experiences, what I say is out dated. What I say may not be new, but many of the fish I caught in the UK would still be the envy of many anglers today - and none of them came from pay and catch waters, they all came from natural waters that others could fish. My methods may be old, but they will still catch fish, but to do so, the angler using them needs an understanding of water craft.

I can only assume that your remark about the picture being part of the Severn is facetious or did you also fail to notice that my thread was about Great Ouse barbel.

You have no need to assume that I am Ian Howcroft, my real name is no secret on FM and I am most definitely he. It seems that it may be another area in which your ability to read and understand what has been said is somewhat suspect. The fact I have lived in Australia for 36 years has also been well documented here.

I have never claimed to be one of the best barbel anglers in Britain, but I did catch them in the Great Ouse long before others were, in the Kennet, the Thames and the Hampshire Avon, and much of what I said about a lot of the fish I caught was taken seriously and, as I have said before, I take a great deal of pride in my achievements so I tend to react when people such as yourself and Charman attempt to decry them.

It seems that now you don't want my posts at this thread, I am sorry about that but I thought that is what you were asking for.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would suggest it is you not I who is not reading posts correctly unless of course you are being deliberately obtuse.
As a relative newcomer on here I don't have the benefit of years of correspondence checking who people are or claim to be, I could claim to be the Archbishop of Canterbury, so with no way of checking, what is written in a profile is meaningless.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that I suggested you tell The blogger how to catch his first barbel when it is clear to a blind man on a galloping horse that the 'Noob' I was referring to was on this thread.

You also seemed to miss my deliberate reference to a lapse in your own memory when I happened to mention that my copy of the book you wrote was actually published in 75 not 76 as you said. I'm sure if I had written a book I would remember what year it was published.
I'm not sticking up for this guy either, if what he did was a deliberate attempt to claim credit for something you did well that is a bit below the belt but par for the course.
Many people through history have claimed the credit for other peoples work, Alexander Graham Bell being one of the most notorious who springs to mind. This guy might have made a simple mistake; he could have been deliberately lying or he could over the passage of time and the re-telling of a tale with all the embellishments actually believe his version of events, as is the case with many bloggers who all try to big up their experiences.
However, as I mentioned in my first post all you really did was catch a fish, it's not as though you found a cure for cancer.

Oh and yes, of course I was being facetious about your link. I thought it very strange that you chose to put it on here which is about the Severn, and a very particular stretch of the Severn, rather than put it on your own thread which was concerning the Gt Ouse.

Finally and to get this thread back on track I have been To Shrewsbury and Ironbridge today and can report that the river is back within its banks though probably still a couple of meters up and very fishable. I would suggest a meat attack with a couple of ounces of lead cast upstream a couple of rod lengths out and rolled through the swim, if you are not confident using meat then pellet or boilies should put you among the fish.
The banks however are atrocious and thick with very slippery mud, if you are tempted to have a go take great care and a couple of binbags for your muddy gear on the drive home.

Chevin

Reaction score
I would suggest it is you not I who is not reading posts correctly unless of course you are being deliberately obtuse.
As a relative newcomer on here I don't have the benefit of years of correspondence checking who people are or claim to be, I could claim to be the Archbishop of Canterbury, so with no way of checking, what is written in a profile is meaningless.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that I suggested you tell The blogger how to catch his first barbel when it is clear to a blind man on a galloping horse that the 'Noob' I was referring to was on this thread.

You also seemed to miss my deliberate reference to a lapse in your own memory when I happened to mention that my copy of the book you wrote was actually published in 75 not 76 as you said. I'm sure if I had written a book I would remember what year it was published.
I'm not sticking up for this guy either, if what he did was a deliberate attempt to claim credit for something you did well that is a bit below the belt but par for the course.
Many people through history have claimed the credit for other peoples work, Alexander Graham Bell being one of the most notorious who springs to mind. This guy might have made a simple mistake; he could have been deliberately lying or he could over the passage of time and the re-telling of a tale with all the embellishments actually believe his version of events, as is the case with many bloggers who all try to big up their experiences.
However, as I mentioned in my first post all you really did was catch a fish, it's not as though you found a cure for cancer.

Oh and yes, of course I was being facetious about your link. I thought it very strange that you chose to put it on here which is about the Severn, and a very particular stretch of the Severn, rather than put it on your own thread which was concerning the Gt Ouse.

Finally and to get this thread back on track I have been To Shrewsbury and Ironbridge today and can report that the river is back within its banks though probably still a couple of meters up and very fishable. I would suggest a meat attack with a couple of ounces of lead cast upstream a couple of rod lengths out and rolled through the swim, if you are not confident using meat then pellet or boilies should put you among the fish.
The banks however are atrocious and thick with very slippery mud, if you are tempted to have a go take great care and a couple of binbags for your muddy gear on the drive home.

Whatever, I am sure you are right in everything you say.

B

Berty

I must admit posting the Ouse pic on here threw me a little!