No lure fishing allowed

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has come to my notice that more and more waters that have previously allowed lure fishing in the past are now banning the use of this method of angling on their fisheries although still allowing dead bating and livebaiting. Does anyone know or have been given a reason for this move . I have lure fished for many many years and have never foul hooked another specie while lure fishing but it has been put to me by other anglers that this is the reason does anyone know of any reasons given by a fishery for not allowing lure fishing.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
It's usually if the fishery has open access to the general public - lure fishing has greater potential to cause harm to bystanders.
That said, I've foulhooked a dace and a pike in the last month and I do occasionally foulhook other fish. Now if you ask a matchman haow many fish he's foulhooked in the last year I expect it will be a fair number - but are they banning matchfishing....?

Bluenose

Reaction score
It has come to my notice that more and more waters that have previously allowed lure fishing in the past are now banning the use of this method of angling on their fisheries

Which particular fisheries are we talking? It might be worth asking them directly why they have banned lure angling?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Now if you ask a matchman haow many fish he's foulhooked in the last year I expect it will be a fair number - but are they banning matchfishing....?

Eric, with the greatest of respect, all anglers foulhook now and again...

I won't be lured into explaining why lure fishing has been banned on some of my local fisheries. It doesn't take a lot of imagination...

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Eric, with the greatest of respect, all anglers foulhook now and again...

I won't be lured into explaining why lure fishing has been banned on some of my local fisheries. It doesn't take a lot of imagination...

I do not want imagination I would like some facts if you wont be lured why comment.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Which particular fisheries are we talking? It might be worth asking them directly why they have banned lure angling?

I ask because I thought someone might know the answer. I am not going to visit a fishery where I that I cannot fish just to ask why.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

The fisheries are the front lake of the chase in dagenham Cluttons pit chelmford along side the A12 and the shell pits at stamford le hope

worzel

Reaction score
Maybe has something to do with a ban on braided main lines. Had to ask on one of my local waters the other day, weather if lure fishing i was allowed to use braided mainline. Luckily common sense prevailed,but you never know.

paul80

Reaction score
It might be because more and more fish are being caught that have someone else's lure still hanging out or inside their mouth, a multi hooked lure is quite difficult to eject if the fish manages to snap the line or the angler was not using the correct line or a wire trace, as many don't these days.

So it might well be a fish welfare exercise and who are we to criticize them over that. :cool:

Paul

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It might be because more and more fish are being caught that have someone else's lure still hanging out or inside their mouth, a multi hooked lure is quite difficult to eject if the fish manages to snap the line or the angler was not using the correct line or a wire trace, as many don't these days.

So it might well be a fish welfare exercise and who are we to criticize them over that. :cool:

Paul

To my knowlege of these waters in the past they were frequently fished by myself and some of my friends for at least twenty years and longer and non of us ever caught a fish with lures already in them but I have had the odd fish with bait rigs in them but the use of bait fishing tackle is still allowed on all these fisheries so I would be surprised if that was the case. Nobody is criticizing anyone just asking a question.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score

Paul

I have caught thousands and thousands of pike and I have never caught even one with a lure in its mouth (apart from the one I caught it on.).

As for fish welfare, well the ultimate in fish welfare is to ban fishing altogether, "and who are we to criticise them over that."

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My own experience is directly in line with Eric's, with ''one'' exception. A single fish caught many years ago with a small spinner in the jaw of that particular fish.

Bans on the use of lures:- the only examples I know of relate to two waters. One of which is a large gravel pit in Nottinghamshire, reasons given, in order to protect bird welfare!

The other, a boat marina wher boat owners complained that lure anglers were repeatedly hitting their boats with lures.

A legitimate concern ''if true'', although I saw no evidence of this!!

Chevin

Reaction score
I would be sad not to be able to use lures for pike and perch, I used them a lot when I lived in the UK. However, all is not lost, catch yourself a nice bag of small roach, knock 'em on the head and work them as dead baits. Working a dead bait can be just as much fun as lure fishing. It can be pretty deadly too.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's to keep the famous Paul Greanachre off them :)

Surely you mean infamous and yes I can see your point but he is a rarety at least in the cicles I move in.

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

I would be sad not to be able to use lures for pike and perch, I used them a lot when I lived in the UK. However, all is not lost, catch yourself a nice bag of small roach, knock 'em on the head and work them as dead baits. Working a dead bait can be just as much fun as lure fishing. It can be pretty deadly too.

Yes wobbled and sink and draw is a deadly method and I have used it many times but if Iwere a bailiff on one of these fisheries I would say the method in itself was a form of lure fishing it is open to interpritation I think.

BarryC

Reaction score
In my area lure fishing is by far the prefered method used by those among us that would take fish for the pot.
May have something to do with it although I doubt it will stop them. Just another rule broken.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know that Lure Angling is not allowed on only two of the many waters on my Wigan book. The Birkacre Lodges are set in a public park and a footpath runs around both lakes so it becomes an health and safety issue.
On my Southport book I can use lures, but the bailiffs allways check your tackle and if you are caught using sea rods, unsuitable line or net, no trace, no mat and no proper unhooking tools you loose your membership. Simples!!!

Chevin

Reaction score
Yes wobbled and sink and draw is a deadly method and I have used it many times but if Iwere a bailiff on one of these fisheries I would say the method in itself was a form of lure fishing it is open to interpritation I think.

It's a bit sad when a function of a bailiff is to interpret rules. If a method is not specifically banned then surely it should be allowed. Unfortunately though, all too often in angling, rules are devised to prevent anglers from catching bigger fish than the average club member. When I was a young guy, I went out with the angling club at the company my dad worked for. It was an evening match and so I fished the match, it was an outing I hadn't expected. While reeling in a bleak a perch of over two pounds took it. I was disqualified from the match for live baiting which wasn't allowed. My protests that I wasn't live baiting was ignored. That was the first and only match I fished, I couldn't be bothered to fish to rules that could be bent by bank side officials.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a bit sad when a function of a bailiff is to interpret rules. If a method is not specifically banned then surely it should be allowed. Unfortunately though, all too often in angling, rules are devised to prevent anglers from catching bigger fish than the average club member. When I was a young guy, I went out with the angling club at the company my dad worked for. It was an evening match and so I fished the match, it was an outing I hadn't expected. While reeling in a bleak a perch of over two pounds took it. I was disqualified from the match for live baiting which wasn't allowed. My protests that I wasn't live baiting was ignored. That was the first and only match I fished, I couldn't be bothered to fish to rules that could be bent by bank side officials.

It basically is officials and bailiffs covering their backsides it may not have been by choice in your case but pressure from members fishing. In my book rules are there for guidence if not absolutely specific and the on sight official makes a ruling and if questioned it is layed before the committee at the next meeting for a final ruling. Let us be honest we all bend the rules one way or the other.

Last edited:

Chevin

Reaction score
It basically is officials and bailiffs covering their backsides it may not have been by choice in your case but pressure from members fishing. In my book rules are there for guidence if not absolutely specific and the on sight official makes a ruling and if questioned it is layed before the committee at the next meeting for a final ruling. Let us be honest we all bend the rules one way or the other.

I guess I never had to bend rules really, after that experience I never fished in a situation where rules of that nature applied and eventually I went into fishery management and I made the rules. :). However, on reflection, I have to say that as I became more successful as an angler and angling writer, and better known to fishery owners, the same rules didn't apply to me a lot of the time. But I suppose it wasn't me who bent them. :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I never had to bend rules really, after that experience I never fished in a situation where rules of that nature applied and eventually I went into fishery management and I made the rules. :). However, on reflection, I have to say that as I became more successful as an angler and angling writer, and better known to fishery owners, the same rules didn't apply to me a lot of the time. But I suppose it wasn't me who bent them. :)

I know exactly what you mean we have lead very similar paths except the last talent.