Advertising.

cg74

Reaction score
Just a thought, what with the endless talk about the Angling Trust of late but why are there no advertisements on angling forums, well except for the Cormorant Watch, which appears sporadically.

I mean even the RSPB advertise on here, does that not tell you something?

They want/need more backing, both in terms of numbers and finance, yet they don't even try to promote themselves in the most basic of ways.

FFS Jeff or anyone else who might know the man responsible for promoting the trust, kick his ****ing ar** into gear, as why would I want to back an organisation that can't even push itself to the fore....

There's fishing on tv every day, both satellite/cable (Discovery Shed) and terrestrial (Quest), no mention ever of the ATr.
That's two of the biggest forms of media ignored!

And before this thread turns bitchy, I'm actually looking for reasons to join but sadly they're thin on the ground - So apart from blind hope and they're all we've got, there's nothing!

B

binka

Maybe it's because they spend extremely wisely and won't waste their money targeting lost souls ;)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
They want/need more backing, both in terms of numbers and finance, yet they don't even try to promote themselves in the most basic of ways.

FFS Jeff or anyone else who might know the man responsible for promoting the trust, kick his ****ing ar** into gear, as why would I want to back an organisation that can't even push itself to the fore....

Editorial adverts (advertorials) are the cheapest and probably the most effective form of advertising. The ATr issue press releases all the time, most of which are widely published throughout the angling media every week, sometimes several times a week. If you are not seeing them then you aren't looking! :)

cg74

Reaction score
Maybe it's because they spend extremely wisely and won't waste their money targeting lost souls ;)

Well they'll sit and fester at their current lowly level of backing.......

HOORAY for the Angling Trust, the greatest thing in angling that most anglers never even knew existed.

B

binka

Well they'll sit and fester at their current lowly level of backing.......

If it concerns you that much you could always join and help them out.

I would hardly say they're festering.

B

Berty

Anglers wouldn't read adverts for them anyway!!!......why should they, if they want to go fishing there is always the commercials, they don't need a body, do they?

Now the Bird watchers "commercials" are something else!!!..........we (anglers) are a bunch of winkers! a?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to agree with Colin, I get the Angling Times every week on subscription and I hardly ever see a reference to the A Tr.
Surely a few advertisements on sites like this can't be that expensive can they?

B

binka

I don't take any angling publication as a rule but to be fair I would have thought that they would want a presence in the best sellers at the very least.

If they don't I would be interested to hear the reasons why as it seems a very logical way of reaching many prospective members.

I know there have been many good headlines lately on their achievements regarding the blocking of a hydro scheme and ensuring funding etc (not wanting to get into the old chestnut of Fish Legal/Angling Trust although the latter of the two examples could in no way be attributed to Fish Legal) and wonder if the feeling within is that they are getting their publicity free through the reporting of their gains without the need to spend excessive amounts of advertising money... in which case it would be a very shrewd strategy.

I don't know, i've always seen advertising as a very expensive medium... not least because those that hail the praises of it (namely the media) would be out of a job if they didn't and secondly for the lack of tangible evidence to support it.

And... without saying that advertising would be a bad thing I didn't join via any means related to it.

Despite my apprehensions I think that advertising would inevitabley result in higher membership but i'm not convinced that the cost would justify the result and if the headlines continue to raise awareness at no cost then that's a very good thing, if that actually proves to be the case.

mick b

Reaction score
Why would the Angling Trust have to pay for advertising on angling forums or in the angling press, it's in the best interests of everyone connected to our sport for angling to be promoted and protected isn't it?

Perhaps whoever owns this forum could offer a free space to show their support for the Angling Trust?
From little acorns grow..........

:eek:mg: Can I hear a bugle sounding the last post????

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
cg74 (Opening post)

"And before this thread turns bitchy.........."

cg74 (2 posts later)

"Well they'll sit and fester at their current lowly level of backing.......

HOORAY for the Angling Trust, the greatest thing in angling that most anglers never even knew existed."

Sorry Colin, but you continue to be a t#sser to the nth degree.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
cg74 (Opening post)

cg74 (2 posts later)

HOORAY for the Angling Trust, the greatest thing in angling that most anglers never even knew existed."

Well said Merv, that's why this guy is in my ignore list ;)

cg74

Reaction score
cg74 (Opening post)

cg74 (2 posts later)

So exactly how is my post bitchy?

The way I see it, if the Atr do not increase membership and subsequently gain greater revenue and backing, they will initially stagnate, and then the rot (or the term I used; fester) will set in.

So how many of the UK's 3-4 million anglers really know what the ATr are about, or even know they exist?

For this threads first example of bitching I suggest you take an objective look at your own post.
It's a shame you're so blinkered by your disliking of me, as I thought you'd have wanted the ATr to succeed - Seems I was wrong?!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
1. Colin, i'm sorry, (and absolutely serious), but how could I possibly dislike you, I don't know you.

2. Oxford Concise Thesaurus...Bitchy, nasty, mean, spiteful, malicious, catty, vindictive, rancorous, venomous, snide, shrewish, vixenish, cruel, backbiting. I'll leave you to decide which definition your earlier comments warrant.

cg74

Reaction score
1. Colin, i'm sorry, (and absolutely serious), but how could I possibly dislike you, I don't know you.

2. Oxford Concise Thesaurus...Bitchy, nasty, mean, spiteful, malicious, catty, vindictive, rancorous, venomous, snide, shrewish, vixenish, cruel, backbiting. I'll leave you to decide which definition your earlier comments warrant.

Ok Merv, you may not dislike 'me' but you most definitely do dislike my internet persona, which I think is actually quite representative of me as a person. Only if you were to speak too me face to face you'd get a better grasp of any emotion that's being conveyed and as a result you would probably be more accepting of what I say.

Your list of words is pretty comprehensive but only on the basis that I was being bitchy; which I say I wasn't.
If you were to ask me to define my earlier comments, I'd say; pithy, terse, direct, blunt, to the point.

I spose I'd better explain what I mean by; "quite representative of me"
It's pretty much how I'd talk to you face to face, with the exclusion of expletives, ******** ****** ******** profanity filter.

Oh and on the whole I can't be bothered to use the smiley thingies...

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Merv...thats the way he really is!

it's entertaining though :eek:

cg74

Reaction score
perhaps he will realize how he comes across one day when everyone on here as blocked him!

Could someone please quote this post so Mark can view it.

Mark, how do you think you come across?

And trust me, not everyone will block/ignore me.

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
cannot say I find Colin annoying, or needing to dash to block his postings. We have not seen eye to eye on many subjects but I can never dispute his passion. In fact a lot of his posts speak a lot of common sense and show an understanding of his subject matter whether they be views similar to my own or not.

Rather than follow the flock he comes up with alternative viewpoints which in turn create debate, unlike some of the sycophants who just blindly agree with what they are told by so called knowledgeable anglers.

keep posting Colin ole chap

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Not me and I don't know who is. However -

There's fishing on tv every day, both satellite/cable (Discovery Shed) and terrestrial (Quest), no mention ever of the ATr.
Never heard of either of those stations (I'm on Freesat), but I assume they're amongst the least viewed channels. Still, they want a fair slice of dosh for an advert. How long would you suggest - 10secs, 15 secs, 20 secs, 30 secs? Put a price on it - say 20 secs - ITV1 - £20,000, Channel 5 - £12,000, and so it goes down until you get to the bottom - around £2,000, but that will be about it. So for that each advert will have to bring in 80 anglers minimum. That's some gamble and it's not as if they can wipe that cost off their normal profits to save tax as there is none (most likely). So TV adverts are OUT!

Press ads can also be costly, but in the angling media maybe they donate a certain amount. In fact I'm sure AT and AM do, don't know about the others. However, what the ATr will take up denies that space to the likes of Maver and Daiwa et al, in other words it costs the publisher money in lost revenue. Keep your eye on the papers though I'm sure they will crop up.

As for on-line stuff, FM did support them with free adverts and I'm pretty sure they do still, but like the press, other adverts may have to be put aside for the ATr ones. In other words, they can only have so much and then in off-peak times. I don't know because I use ad-block software so can't see any.

The ATr issue press releases all the time, most of which are widely published throughout the angling media every week,
They are still THE best way of getting news around, but you have to be interested in the first place to read them for them to work. Even then, you can't read them and think "Oh well done ATr" and move on without taking any action to join. They still rely on tugging at your conscience to do something about the situation and join in. Perhaps a false hope in many/most cases.

There's only one thing for it, you're an angler, you really feel like you should join. Then join, try it out. That's the only answer.

And not one bitchy word in there. Hopefully