Bankside Manners....or rather the lack of any.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Been raised on FM before I know but the lack of any consideration for other anglers by certain people just gets right up my nose !

I've just got back from a session trying [and failing] to catch the currently very elusive Bury Hill zander. Just as dusk approaches [THE time at BH] I have a pair of overnight carpers descend upon me and pitch up in the swim next door. I am then subjected to an hour of crash,bang,thump,wallop as Wallace & Grommit start to build a couple of small houses with the liberal application of what sounded like sledgehammers and those things Kwik Fit use to tighten wheel nuts....all the while F-ing and Blinding and yelling at each other as if they were a mile apart instead of 6 foot.

Add to this a pair of 50000000000000000 candlepower headtorches plus a couple of portable searchlights directed all over the lake,my swim,me and anybody else within about a mile. I presume these were in case of an impromptu bombing raid by the Luftwaffe.

When I politely asked if they could "keep it down a bit" and not shine their lights on my swim you'd think I'd assaulted their sister ! I moved simply to get away from these ***** but also because any chance I might have had of a zed vanished when these Numpties turned up.The feeding "window" for zed at BH is very narrow....often only 30-45 mins between the light levels falling and "all off" . These two basically ruined my trip through their behaviour and it really annoys me. I would NEVER do that to anybody else. Never.

Now this is NOT a pop at carpers per se but in my experience the [how do I put this ?] "casual carper" often [not always] has absolutely no consideration whatsoever for anybody else. Thse two idiots were there overnight so their pegs can recover....but not mine.

What happened to manners or am I just being naive to expect to find them bankside anymore ? Idiots that keep themselves to themselves dont bother me...its those that insist on spreading their idiocy far & wide that annoy me...and that ultimately can cost other people access to fishing.

Its just as well they did not pitch up next to Big Parksy. The conversation would have been short,direct and one or both could well have been swimming home.

sjh

Reaction score
Sadly, I think you are right about a decline in bankside manners but I think it is mirrored in the general world where people wearing head phones like to share their music with the person six seats away on the train or are reluctant to take their feet/ bags off the seats to let someone sit down. In many instances of bad manners/ inconsiderate behaviour you don't feel able to challenge it because you are likely to be met with an aggressive tirade or worse.

Am I just getting old?:(

terry m

Reaction score
Unfortunately, angling, carp angling or any form of angling is a relection of society in general, there will always be a bunch of morons somewhere in the mix, you seem to have drawn the short straw.

This is simply a lack of manners, consideration and courtesy, all of which are often in short supply across broader society.

I thought that BH was tightly bailiffed, did you complain or register any concerns?

mick b

Reaction score
Sorry you had your day ruined.
I suffered a similar fate when a carpie turned up in the swim opposite me and then constructed a small village using a hammer and steel pegs to hold it all down. Next he assaulted three areas of the lake with a bombardment of boilies, about a buckets worth, all drop zones being nearer me than him.
I left shortly after wondering why this small 4acre lake owned by a private 50 member club had managed to attract such morons.
I have not fished there since but still pay my annual subscription in the hope these 'bore the fish to death' carpies may have a shelf life!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, angling, carp angling or any form of angling is a relection of society in general, there will always be a bunch of morons somewhere in the mix, you seem to have drawn the short straw.

This is simply a lack of manners, consideration and courtesy, all of which are often in short supply across broader society.

I thought that BH was tightly bailiffed, did you complain or register any concerns?

Sadly....I think you are right and yes BH is tightly bailiffed and yes I shall be having a word.

What really gets me is that these two didn't seem to have the faintest grasp of the effect of their actions on other people. It wasn't that they didn't care....they genuinely did not understand what my problem was.

I've experienced this before. It's as if there is a "give way to carpers" rule going on in certain people's heads.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sadly, I think you are right about a decline in bankside manners but I think it is mirrored in the general world where people wearing head phones like to share their music with the person six seats away on the train or are reluctant to take their feet/ bags off the seats to let someone sit down. In many instances of bad manners/ inconsiderate behaviour you don't feel able to challenge it because you are likely to be met with an aggressive tirade or worse.

Am I just getting old?:(

I turned my music up on the train a couple of weeks ago so the VERY smelly guy next to me would move...It didn't work :D

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Sadly....I think you are right and yes BH is tightly bailiffed and yes I shall be having a word.

What really gets me is that these two didn't seem to have the faintest grasp of the effect of their actions on other people. It wasn't that they didn't care....they genuinely did not understand what my problem was.

I've experienced this before. It's as if there is a "give way to carpers" rule going on in certain people's heads.

The only Anglers that I have ever had problems with have been Carpers Skippy, I think this branch of our pastime just seems to attract the morons!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I turned my music up on the train a couple of weeks ago so the VERY smelly guy next to me would move...It didn't work :D

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

The only Anglers that I have ever had problems with have been Carpers Skippy, I think this branch of our pastime just seems to attract the morons!

I'm afraid you're right Mark. Its not just carpers but more often than not it is. It was like being under a creeping artillery barrage yesterday and what is it with these searchlights on their heads ? If I use a light after dark at all its a one led red and I never shine it on the water.

sam vimes

Reaction score
S-Kippy,
I can offer no defence for such idiots, but it's a shame that others will jump on the "all carpers" bandwagon. I can assure you that not all carpers carry on like that and why any angler would use a mallet on the bankside is quite beyond me.

Beyond the societal issue of people having little consideration for others, I suspect that it's a matter of education. So many modern carpers have little angling skill or knowledge beyond their limited sphere. As well as a basic lack of consideration, I'd suspect that the chances of them having any idea of the feeding habits of Bury Hill zander will be slim in the extreme.

I have experienced this lack of knowledge and all round skills in a young carper. A lad I know started fishing for carp and has done little else. He has developed into a damned good carp angler and, happily, he's a decent, respectful lad. He occasionally does some daft things and is mortified when you make him understand how it might affect others. He often simply doesn't realize that he might be doing something wrong or having any impact on others.

In the past year or so, he's had me using some fancy carp rigs, that I'd never have used otherwise. In return, sometimes to his initial disgust, I've taught him bits and bobs from a more general angling background. How to underarm cast and, very recently, how to cast a waggler and knock out a decent net of roach on light gear.

Sadly, plenty of similar youngsters got well into adulthood without getting any insight into other forms of angling. Couple that lack of understanding with a lack of respect (which has nothing to do with them being carpers), and you get the types you encountered.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
S-Kippy,
I can offer no defence for such idiots, but it's a shame that others will jump on the "all carpers" bandwagon. I can assure you that not all carpers carry on like that and why any angler would use a mallet on the bankside is quite beyond me.

Beyond the societal issue of people having little consideration for others, I suspect that it's a matter of education. So many modern carpers have little angling skill or knowledge beyond their limited sphere. As well as a basic lack of consideration, I'd suspect that the chances of them having any idea of the feeding habits of Bury Hill zander will be slim in the extreme.

I have experienced this lack of knowledge and all round skills in a young carper. A lad I know started fishing for carp and has done little else. He has developed into a damned good carp angler and, happily, he's a decent, respectful lad. He occasionally does some daft things and is mortified when you make him understand how it might affect others. He often simply doesn't realize that he might be doing something wrong or having any impact on others.

In the past year or so, he's had me using some fancy carp rigs, that I'd never have used otherwise. In return, sometimes to his initial disgust, I've taught him bits and bobs from a more general angling background. How to underarm cast and, very recently, how to cast a waggler and knock out a decent net of roach on light gear.

Sadly, plenty of similar youngsters got well into adulthood without getting any insight into other forms of angling. Couple that lack of understanding with a lack of respect (which has nothing to do with them being carpers), and you get the types you encountered.

Sam,
Please don't think I am having a go at everyone that goes carping mate :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,
Please don't think I am having a go at everyone that goes carping mate :)

Mark,
you and others will do as you will. I'll rail at poorly thought out generalisations. However, I didn't feel included in your statement "The only Anglers that I have ever had problems with have been Carpers", I just find it a little hard to believe. I've no doubt that carping does attract more than its fair share of eejits. I've no doubt that eejit carpers are more likely to be found on the club and day ticket waters that a more all round angler is likely to frequent. If I want to avoid the eejit carpers, I stay away from the types of water they like, or fish them at the times of year that they mysteriously vanish.

However, I'm not just a carper, matchman, barbel angler, "pleasure" angler etc etc. I do a bit of everything and see the various nonsense that goes on from different angles. There are inconsiderate bung holes in every sphere.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You should fish some southern Barbel rivers Mark. ;)

:(

Or a venue for a pleasure session when the (non-carp angling) chavs turn up and scream obscenities at each other from a couple of yards. Sometimes with additional alcohol or even exotic smelling cigarettes. A venue where you might end up adjacent to a match, where the "banter" gets a little fruity and involves shouting across a lake. Or any situation (match, carping, barbelling, pleasure fishing etc etc) where you are fishing under your feet yet folks think it's fine to bimble about without a care to ask quite innocently, "how are you getting on? caught owt?"

It isn't all down to folks being inconsiderate. Some of it is pure ignorance, they genuinely don't have any idea that they are doing anything wrong or doing anything that might impact on someone else.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh View Post

Am I just getting old?
I turned my music up on the train a couple of weeks ago so the VERY smelly guy next to me would move...It didn't work

What a strange coincidence. I kept farting on the train the other week to get the inconsiderate individual who was sat next to me and who insisted on playing his music loudly to move...It didn't work.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I turned my music up on the train a couple of weeks ago so the VERY smelly guy next to me would move...It didn't work :D!

What a strange coincidence. I kept farting on the train the other week to get the inconsiderate individual who was sat next to me and who insisted on playing his music loudly to move...It didn't work.

Just do what sensible folks do. Avoid the riff raff on public transport.;):D:p

The angling equivalent is to join a syndicate. If you are really lucky you'll find one that isn't totally carp obsessed. Absolute heaven.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You should fish some southern Barbel rivers Mark. ;)

:(

I think have met some of them on here Simon :D :D :D

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

I assure you Ray, this guy stunk worse than any fart!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The lack of common manners and concideration for others is the way in all things these days . These haddocks that go fishing but do not even know the rudiments of what it involves are rife the idea of fishing during the hours of darkness is to fool the fish into thinking you are not there. THese prats are everywhere they carry on like a demented bunch of boy scouts at a jamboree I only wish we could go back forty years and give them a right sorting out . I remember one instance on a fishery where a team had a car battery and spot light they were asked in no uncertain terms to turn it off but refused with a comment of ollocks within the minute there was the sharp report of a 12 bore and the light was out not another peep was heard all night. If you ask Mr. Debere sorry for the spelling he will some times let you stay on till 10-30 pm a very nice fella. People behave like pigs these days and it is across the board not just the young ones.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The lack of common manners and concideration for others is the way in all things these days . These haddocks that go fishing but do not even know the rudiments of what it involves are rife the idea of fishing during the hours of darkness is to fool the fish into thinking you are not there. THese prats are everywhere they carry on like a demented bunch of boy scouts at a jamboree I only wish we could go back forty years and give them a right sorting out . I remember one instance on a fishery where a team had a car battery and spot light they were asked in no uncertain terms to turn it off but refused with a comment of ollocks within the minute there was the sharp report of a 12 bore and the light was out not another peep was heard all night. If you ask Mr. Debere sorry for the spelling he will some times let you stay on till 10-30 pm a very nice fella. People behave like pigs these days and it is across the board not just the young ones.

I was bought up to have manners tiinker, but its a dying art! I spent the first 17 of my working life in Grocery retail (starting with Fine fare, anybody remember purse in the TV ads?) and over the years everybody in clay cross got to know and like me because of my manners and the respect I held for the people and it never cost them a penny. When I go shopping now I allways treat the staff in the same way as I used to treat my customers because I have seen how these days folk treat the staff in shops as ''nobodies'' and are rude, inconsiderate and sometimes violent and those staff really appreciate the politeness I offer them in a world gone mad! I just don't know what's wrong with society :eek:mg:

cg74

Reaction score

"I only wish we could go back forty years and give them a right sorting out."
So basically you're advocating behaviour far worse than theirs! And if you were given a right pasting, you'd then be bleating on about how they set upon you etc etc

"sharp report of a 12 bore and the light was out not another peep was heard all night."
And had some of the shot hit one of the offenders, you'd be happy to accept a charge of manslaughter?
Seems a bit disproportionate to the original 'crime'?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Or a venue for a pleasure session when the (non-carp angling) chavs turn up and scream obscenities at each other from a couple of yards. Sometimes with additional alcohol or even exotic smelling cigarettes. A venue where you might end up adjacent to a match, where the "banter" gets a little fruity and involves shouting across a lake. Or any situation (match, carping, barbelling, pleasure fishing etc etc) where you are fishing under your feet yet folks think it's fine to bimble about without a care to ask quite innocently, "how are you getting on? caught owt?"

It isn't all down to folks being inconsiderate. Some of it is pure ignorance, they genuinely don't have any idea that they are doing anything wrong or doing anything that might impact on someone else.

Spot on....and that is why I was careful not to suggest that only/all carpers behave like that because they dont. You can get this from any nobheid no matter what his chosen specialised subject is.

But there is no getting away from the fact that the average casual carper has a disproportionately larger footprint in every possible sense. I dont have to build anything before I start fishing,nor do I make 6 trips to the car with a forklift to bring in supplies for base camp. I may occasionally use a mallet to wack an umbrella pole in but that's over and done in 10 seconds....and only if its raining. I don't require a small searchlight battery in order to bait my hook.

Maybe they are just scared of the dark....not that its very dark near them.