I need some advice choosing a new rod

steveinbrighton

Reaction score
Hi
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice of rods.
I do most of my fishing from the Brighton marina wall, typically the type of fish I'm after is mackerel (on feathers/float), bass (lures), flatfish (bottom fishing), maybe bream. I might also try off the beach.
I've got a rod for spinning up to 60g but I want a beachcasting rod. A potential rod is the Abu Garcia Esprit Beachmaster Fixed Spool but the cw for that is 4-8 oz. I'm not wanting (I think) to ever use more than 8 oz but the lower weight bothers me. I'd have thought most of the time I would be using weights less than that e.g. when using feathers and maybe bottom fishing. Does this matter? Any advice on this rod or other rods very much appreciated.
Steve

chav professor

Reaction score
A 4-8oz beach caster sounds like an out and out casting tool. The only reason beach rods are so stiff is that they require to put out a largish lump of lead into a heavy tide, and the tip hold in such a way as to indicate a bite.

Most beach casters are 'tippy' and get progressively stiffer to the butt. Its power casters that can 'load' the rod during the cast that get the greater distances - i had the privilege of seeing Nigel forrest cast (of casting and breakaway fame).

Beach casters are no pleasure for playing fish - but due to the practicalities of tide, casting weights and having to deal with heavy weed at times. I wrote an article on sea fishing a few years back it may be of interest.

If I can and the conditions allow, I use a 3lb test curve carp rod.... a real cheap one because it gets treated harshly - rocks etc and chucked about. I can cast 4 oz leads at a push and shows bites in the right conditions beautifully. Best of all, you hook into fish and they can give an account of themselves. Even whiting are fun to catch on a light rod... especially if you get a double hooker!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/sea_angling/15394-bass-fishing-for-the-coarse-angler.html

Incidently, the carp rod i use is a ABU exterminator (I think thats the name, its lost the logo) - it cost £30 - it just keeps going and going - I love that rod - its awesome!

fruitowl

Reaction score
having done beach fishing on a regular basis in the past i agree with chav professor a cheap carp rod as your not having to worry about breaking waves you won't need such a stiff tip and a 2.5 to 3lb test curve carp rod will allow you some fun in the fight.

aebitim

Reaction score
A mid range 4-8 beachcaster is going to be happy chucking even a 2 oz lead. It will be heavy compared to a carp rod but when the weed is about or something bigger bites or the sea and wind gets up then it will cope with a 5oz breakaway lead so you can stay fishing. It is very unlikely that it will cast 8 oz with bait.
There are a few bass rods on the market which cast 2-4 oz, which are designed to seafish, plenty of cheap carp rods which work ok. My experience is that its better to go equipped for the worst conditions as there is nothing more frustrating than watching those around you pulling in fish when your tackle wont stay in the water.