Photographic prints

C

Colin North, the one and only

You need a flat bed scanner that has the ability to scan negatives and slides, as well as scan pictures. A couple of hundred will secure a good one for you.

swati825

Reaction score
I had great collection of photographic prints and i am looking for best site from where i can get best photographic prints.

Last edited by a moderator:

henrykipson

Reaction score
Hey!!! Really informative thrtead.Thanks for sharing with usand please anyone can suggest me link from where i can buy photographic prints at reasonable rates.

http://digipixwindsor.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
No, you don't need a flat-bed scanner. You need a film scanner. The act of printing negatives seriously degrades the quality, especially as prints fade. So why scan prints when you can scan negs?

Maplin does a very nice little film scanner for less than £50. And get prints done at Snapfish - the best quality in my view.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Hey!!! Really informative thrtead.Thanks for sharing with usand please anyone can suggest me link from where i can buy photographic prints at reasonable rates.

http://digipixwindsor.com/

See above post, Henry

experty

Reaction score
No, you don't need a flat-bed scanner. You need a film scanner. The act of printing negatives seriously degrades the quality, especially as prints fade. So why scan prints when you can scan negs?
See above post, Henry

Can you please differentiate between a film scanner and a flat bed scanner. What will happen if he put the negative on flat bed scanner and reverse the colors in some photo editing software?
:confused::confused::confused:

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO a flatbed scanner is OK if you choose the right scanner. The scanner should have a transparency option. The better the quality of scanner, the better the results. The best option is a scanner with a slide and negative scan built in. Scan at a high resolution. Since negatives are small, the image will need to be enlarged later. It will be a much clearer image if it is scanned with a high resolution. As a general rule, double the mount of pixels for double the size of enlarging. Save the file in the proper format. Either save as a TIFF file or a JPEG. A TIFF file will retain the most detail since there is no compression but will take up much more storage space on the hard drive of the computer.
Jerry

experty

Reaction score
Bundle of thanks. That is a new trick for me. I have a flatbed scanner and i'll try this trick on my old time negatives.:D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with you Jerry, but I used to sell scanners for OCR purposes and one that I sold had a film scanner on the front, but it was never that good although the quality of the flatbed was superb.

Best film and slide scanners are Plustek, only now available in the 7400 as the cheapest, about £180, but there is some superb software that comes with it to remove all kinds of marks, dust, and general muck. Jessops sell them, but Google around for best prices.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fair point Jeff and I respect your experience in that field, I've stuck with Cannon over the years and not had problems with their 'better quality' scanners so long as you don't need to blow them up to A4 size or larger................ Or possibly my eyesight's on the blink;)The bottom line, for 'normal' size prints I'm happy with the end result.
Jerry

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Canon flatbed scanners are good scanners, wouldn't quibble with that because that's what I use now, but film and slides are adifferent animal. I have one of those cheap £50 Maplin ones that my son bought me (sounds bad doesn't it?) to try out, they're OK, but you get vignetting around the edges and a lot of smuts and muck on the pictures. Take ages in Photoshop to clean them up which is why I'm debating whether or not to get a Plustek. Trouble is, you only use it for as long as it takes to scan all your slides or films and then it's redundant. Mind you, they fetch a decend 2nd hand price of fleabay...

experty

Reaction score
Friends one more question
How can I get a good scanned jpeg of a skull x ray???:confused:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Friends one more question
How can I get a good scanned jpeg of a skull x ray???:confused:

Flatbeds work on reflective light only if they do not have a light in the hood (the bit that comes down on top of what they're scanning). Xray transparencies require light to be transmitted through them to scan properly.

So if you know anyone with a flatbed with a lit hood, you're away.

beerweasel

Reaction score
If you know someone who does old school B+W printing with an enlarger they could do a "photogram" type print then scan the image.