Meeces

maceo

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on getting rid of or disuading blasted mice from chewing your kit?

I was mortified to go out in the shed the other day and find the edge of one of the pockets on my Korum ruckbag all chewed up and frayed to beggery.

I can't understand it. There's nothing in there to smell and attract them or anything.

Is there some sort of mice repelling liquid or something you can rub into your kit?

The leader of the opposition is getting a bit lairy about me storing my stuff indoors and in her way ever since this shocking incident.

B

binka

Not a problem here despite living on the edge of a small copse, three cats take care of that with the latest addition to their motley collection arriving only this morning.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Smear some caramel from a Mars bar or something similar onto the spike of a trap. They can't get the stuff off without triggering the trap, works very well for me.

Maceo

Chances are that they are in there in the first place as it's warm and dry, the fishy smelling gear is a bonus.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like he said, get a trap and kill the little monsters.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Any member of the BPCA will get rid of them quickly and efficiently, second generation anti-coagulants ( difenacoum, bromadiolone, brodifacoum or flocoumafen) work very well but are only available for professional use. IMO the sonic electronic stuff is ineffective and there is no evidence that they work.
Jerry
PS The problem with traps is that after the first few go in the others get wise to them - if you do use them use chocolate or peanut butter as bait.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any member of the BPCA will get rid of them quickly and efficiently, second generation anti-coagulants ( difenacoum, bromadiolone, brodifacoum or flocoumafen) work very well but are only available for professional use. IMO the sonic electronic stuff is ineffective and there is no evidence that they work.
Jerry
PS The problem with traps is that after the first few go in the others get wise to them - if you do use them use chocolate or peanut butter as bait.

It's like fishing, you have to keep moving the feeding spot when they wise up to it.
The good thing about a trap is you always know when when you have caught the last one, if the bait is still there then no more meeces, if it's gone then something has eaten it.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Jerry

It's like fishing, you have to keep moving the feeding spot when they wise up to it.
The good thing about a trap is you always know when when you have caught the last one, if the bait is still there then no more meeces, if it's gone then something has eaten it and you have to set the trap again.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

oops double post

barbelboi

Reaction score
The good thing about a trap is you always know when when you have caught the last one, if the bait is still there then no more meeces, if it's gone then something has eaten it.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

The good thing about a trap is you always know when when you have caught the last one, if the bait is still there then no more meeces, if it's gone then something has eaten it and you have to set the trap again.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

oops double post

Or in many cases Titus, they're just totally ignoring it;)
Jerry

Reaction score
Traps and peanut butter smeared choccies worked for me. Went for the blitzkrieg approach...half a dozen traps at various levels of my tackle cupboard. Got rid of them in about a week (9!!) Moved them around after each rebaiting. That will teach the blighters from ruining my carp net and my cricket pads!!!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or in many cases Titus, they're just totally ignoring it;)
Jerry

Nah, they're gone or you have got another infestation, I've dealt with loads of them over the years and one recently in my own garage. Another sure fire way of knowing they have gone is no more droppings or damage. One of the problems with poisons or anti coagulants is the smell as they decompose, the little monsters always find the darkest corner to die in, I had one in the bottom of my washing machine one winter when i asked the council to deal with them, the smell was awful for about two weeks and we only found the body when the machine broke down and the engineer found it.
Give me traps every time.
The worst infestation I ever dealt with was in an old house I bought which had three foot thick walls and lime mortar, When i bought it the place had been unoccupied for about 6 months but everything was still in it, the mice had been living the high life on the contents of the kitchen cupboards and the walls were literally alive with them, We found a Christmas cake in one cupboard which looked as though it was untouched but all it was was an icing shell, they had eaten all the cake and the marzipan.
I baited the traps with cake and it took about two weeks to catch them all, i made sure the only food in the house was on the traps and the little buggers were starving, I found one corpse in a trap which had been half eaten by its mates.
I also cleared a shed for a mate by sealing the windows, starting his petrol mower in the shed and sealing the door. when the mower ran out of fuel all the mice were dead but you have then got the problem of getting rid of the bodies again. We ended up emptying the shed and cleaning and checking every box and bag, we would have been better off trapping them.

I could go on for pages about mousing, there was another infestation under a fish pond, the guy had used a layer of polystyrene insulation blocks under a layer of carpet and then the liner, it was mouse heaven. I cleared that one with my brother in law, his two terriers and a strimmer motor. We blocked all the holes I could find and put a tube from the exhaust from the strimmer down one of the other holes. The mice were gassed in their beds and any that escaped were snapped up by the dogs, that was a mad afternoon, the dogs loved it and we were in hysterics at their antics.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nah, they're gone or you have got another infestation, I've dealt with loads of them over the years and one recently in my own garage. Another sure fire way of knowing they have gone is no more droppings or damage. One of the problems with poisons or anti coagulants is the smell as they decompose, the little monsters always find the darkest corner to die in, I had one in the bottom of my washing machine one winter when i asked the council to deal with them, the smell was awful for about two weeks and we only found the body when the machine broke down and the engineer found it.
The worst infestation I ever dealt with was in an old house I bought which had three foot thick walls and lime mortar, When i bought it the place had been unoccupied for about 6 months but everything was still in it, the mice had been living the high life on the contents of the kitchen cupboards and the walls were literally alive with them, We found a Christmas cake in one cupboard which looked as though it was untouched but all it was was an icing shell, they had eaten all the cake and the marzipan.
I baited the traps with cake and it took about two weeks to catch them all, i made sure the only food in the house was on the traps and the little buggers were starving, I found one corpse in a trap which had been half eaten by its mates.
I also cleared a shed for a mate by sealing the windows, starting his petrol mower in the shed and sealing the door. when the mower ran out of fuel all the mice were dead but you have then got the problem of getting rid of the bodies again. We ended up emptying the shed and cleaning and checking every box and bag, we would have been better off trapping them.

I could go on for pages about mousing, there was another infestation under a fish pond, the guy had used a layer of polystyrene insulation blocks under a layer of carpet and then the liner, it was mouse heaven. I cleared that one with my brother in law, his two terriers and a strimmer motor. We blocked all the holes I could find and put a tube from the exhaust from the strimmer down one of the other holes. The mice were gassed in their beds and any that escaped were snapped up by the dogs, that was a mad afternoon, the dogs loved it and we were in hysterics at their antics.

As you're quoting me - second generation anticoagulants rarely leave rotting corpses - it's the rubbish you buy on the open market - professionally treated rodents will become very thirsty and seek out their natural water supply where they will mostly die outside. As the rodenticide brings about the failure of the internal organs no residual poison is left in the carcass so not a threat to other animals. Bare in mind that local authorities rarely use the best product for the job (financial) I could also go on for pages about rodent control, but I wont.
Jerry
PS Yes, the only sure way of knowing they're gone is the lack of droppings and/or a tracking dust or of course using UV light to indicate their urine trails - I'm sure that you know that mice are incontinent.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can't beat the trap, my bait is in the garage and i forgot to put the hemp in a bucket.
I was surprised they can eat the interior of the seed and leave two perfect halves of the husk. The were taken out by peanut butter.

My mrs left the peanuts for the birds in our utility room about a week ago, this week she wondered why they had got so low, and found the plastic bag had been holed in one place.
The peanut butter is waiting at this minute, in fact I'll just go an check.

minkman

Reaction score

Its now illegal 2 kill mice with dogs. Stupid but true.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Anyone got any tips on getting rid of or disuading blasted mice from chewing your kit?

I was mortified to go out in the shed the other day and find the edge of one of the pockets on my Korum ruckbag all chewed up and frayed to beggery.

I can't understand it. There's nothing in there to smell and attract them or anything.

Is there some sort of mice repelling liquid or something you can rub into your kit?

The leader of the opposition is getting a bit lairy about me storing my stuff indoors and in her way ever since this shocking incident.

Go 2 a agricultural supplies store they will sort u out with what u need.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I had a major mouse problem, which was exacerbated by being surrounded by trees.

Used x2 mouse traps which both caught for 21 days on the trot. The mouse population was untouched. I then invested in a feral farm cat (which took a little time to acclimatise to his domestic surroundings) but he earned his keep, so to speak and destroyed mouse city.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps I should add the pond incident with the dogs was about 15 years ago, the dogs and the pond owner are no longer with us and have joined the mice.

Last edited:
B

binka

What about Cats, is it ok to go hunting with Cats ?

If it's not i'm stuffed given the amount mine bring in on a regular basis... although I don't actually go hunting with them, if it's illegal the authorities will have to arrest the cats for doing it off their own backs and if they've eaten the evidence it could throw the whole thing into doubt :confused: :)

mouse-attacks-cat_zps757fd1ca.jpg

Last edited: