Cardigan Bay Fishing...

tesco value

Reaction score
Anyone ever fished from Cardigan bay for the bass etc?

I'm a coarse angler but was thinking of taking my travel rod and a few lures, off to Cardigan Bay for a week end of this month. Anyone know the area and what tactics i could use to try and get a few sea fish, i presume lure fishing from the rocks or beach could be succesful, any coarse fishing nearby?

Any info greatly recieved!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Fished the area while on holiday from the beach with a carp rod and caught flatties ,but I think if you tried properly there are certainly chances for bass and other stuff as it is a very nice coast line ,there are a few creeks in the area as well with mullet which I will try for next time.Give it a go tesco because if I caught it must be alright.

tesco value

Reaction score
thanks mr barbus.

what tactics & bait did you catch the flatties on?

I'll be taking my travel rod and have a go for anything, definately interested in the mullet - i'll try floatfishing with a chubber float & flake.

Anyone have reccomendations for what lures i could use for the bass? or would another tactic be more effective?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Just a running rig or you could add a stop for the bolt effect ,size two hook and section of sand eel ,the fish seemed to be in and about the surf so no long cast was required,think barbel fishing on the shore .
I recall Matt hayes doing an article on the mullet fishing in the area and I have seen them myself ,nice part of the world for a bit of a break anyway tesco.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Small plugs or blade spinners for the bass.

Running ledger with a light lead so it moves around slowly for the flatties

For the mullet no idea when i manage to catch one i will let you know.

Local tackle shop will give best advice on best spots etc.

tesco value

Reaction score
thanks guys great stuff!

what bait would work for the flatties?

looking forward to it!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Small strips of mackerel or squid, prawns, ragworm all available at the local tackle shop.

If you have a garden fork dig harbour rag in the soft mud of the estuary or harbour they are deadly. Fished on a long shank aberdeen.