Keeping the faith

B

binka

Been here before and will be here again but with hopefully a few memorable sessions in between.

Last three sessions on the pike have produced three blanks with one double bob of the float on a suspended deadbait to show for it (even after the introduction of the much acredited eel oil) and I wondered what others did to keep the faith when they are going through a lean spell?

Do you persevere on the waters that have been eluding you or do you spread your wings and look further afield, or do you keep on changing tactics until that red letter day comes around again?

Come to think of it and given the nature of pike and their winter feeding habits does any of it actually matter when it all boils down to it, is it all irellevant because the red letter days are just a case of catching 'em when "they're on" regardless of tactics?

Back to the old drawing board and a new approach for the coming weekend, now this one's got to be the one that cracks it... :)

Last edited:

graham472

Reaction score
Wish it was only last 3 trips! more like 10.Pits just not fishing,cant get near a river as still in flood(seems like all season).Thinking of wandering about with lures.May annoy a jack or a perch,you never know.

terry m

Reaction score
Hang in there binka, you are not alone.

After a purple patch from October through to just before Christmas, I have struggled like hell with the last eight trips (mostly 1/2 day) poducing six blanks. Although it is fair to say that half of those blanks produced a proper run where the fish was missed or lost due to early strikes.

The mild weather should in theory have them feeding, but I think the extraordinarily mild weather is counterproductive.

I stick at it, normal tactics buit try different venues. Trouble is that I am hampered on that score as the rivers in my part of the world are still inaccessible!!

keora

Reaction score
Are you fishing just one swim during a session ? I find it a lot more productive to move swims after an hour or so.

agamemnon

Reaction score
so far ive only managed 2 pike sessions and both have been a resounding flop. 1 session i reeled in a sardine that had been ripped to bits but no run from it. my mate has been fishing for an elusive winter carp and hes been getting some real nice looking tench so perhaps its the wrong species im fishing for

B

binka

Are you fishing just one swim during a session ? I find it a lot more productive to move swims after an hour or so.

I have been fishing "banker" swims and staying in them, natural bays where i've seen small fish topping and steep drop off's into deeper water but will be much more mobile this coming weekend.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Hang in there binka, you are not alone.

After a purple patch from October through to just before Christmas, I have struggled like hell with the last eight trips (mostly 1/2 day) poducing six blanks. Although it is fair to say that half of those blanks produced a proper run where the fish was missed or lost due to early strikes.

The mild weather should in theory have them feeding, but I think the extraordinarily mild weather is counterproductive.

I stick at it, normal tactics buit try different venues. Trouble is that I am hampered on that score as the rivers in my part of the world are still inaccessible!!

Thanks for the encouragement Terry, the rivers in my part of the world are approaching normal levels again at long last and I plan to spend as much time on them as possible before the middle of March.

Deecy ACA

Reaction score
No probs here , two trips in the last week have thrown up 8 to 16lb from the Thames and Gr Ouse. Both were bank high but clear which is as good as it gets , narrows down location a treat.walked all day dropping deads into every slack so it's is hard going but very enjoyable.

terry m

Reaction score
so far ive only managed 2 pike sessions and both have been a resounding flop. 1 session i reeled in a sardine that had been ripped to bits but no run from it. my mate has been fishing for an elusive winter carp and hes been getting some real nice looking tench so perhaps its the wrong species im fishing for

Sardines are particularly soft, they may have been destroyed by eels or other fish that are not seen as typically 'predatory'.

clive morton

Reaction score
sometimes we blame this that and the other but there are times im sure its just down to them just not feeding.
ill give an example on a recent trip to the trent i had my first 20 and two good doubles and pulled out of two more fish the first 3 runs coming in the first hour.
now the swim i fished is a known area for predators but i have had 2 blanks and one small jack on the previous 3 sessions.
all my fish came to deadbaits now im told you need lives to catch on the trent this is simply not true although i still think livebaiting is the ultimate method it is not the only method.
at the end of the day its about being there on the right day in the right place if its a known area sooner or later it will come good nothing wrong with trying a few different areas but has was the case with me i couldent do this has the next good area was a route march a way in heavy mud and at the end of the day we go to enjoy our fishing.
stick with it binka and tight lines mate.

keora

Reaction score
I have been fishing "banker" swims and staying in them, natural bays where i've seen small fish topping and steep drop off's into deeper water but will be much more mobile this coming weekend.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Sometimes it's better not to rely on banker swims. Fishing a variety of swims during a session increases your chances of finding a fish that's willing to take a bait. It does though mean that you need to restrict the amount of tackle you take, otherwise there's a tendency to just sit in one swim and hope for the best.

I sometimes fish with a bait rod, and have occasional casts with a lure on a second rod. You will get days when the lure rod catches more fish than the bait rod.