EA Demarcation point

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Hi all, am i right in thinking that the EA designated demarcation point is the end point of river restrictions?

For years i have seen people fishing in the river freshney, during the closed season, without ever being challenged. There was a good 7/8 people fishing it on saturday, while i was there watching/feeding the fish. bear in mind this is inthe middle of the town centre, so people must see it going on.

Having looked at the byelaws, i notice for the river freshney that the demarcation point is the flottergate sluice, which it appears (according to ordnance survey), is actually inland of the point i am talking about.

any clarification regarding this demarcation point would help, as if i can legally fish it, i'll be buzzing, as there is definitely large shoals of roach and perch there at the moment, and several carp, of varying sizes, with at least one that looks to be pushing the twenty mark!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If i am not mistaken it usually runs down to the estuary.I know up here they will be out checking the morcambe bay area around Arnside when the Salmon and Sea Trout are running. But as you say they will no doubt not be interested in the anglers coarse fisihing.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
you see this is what makes it confusing, as the point i am talking about is where the river enters the old docks, which are part of the humber estuary.

its so confusing, and no one round my way, that i've spoken to at least, seems to know for definite, and either just dont fish it, or just dont care?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
We were once at Wick in Scotland and the rivers were low. The bailiffs were patrolling the small harbour there to make sure the anglers were fishing out to sea and not into the stock pond that was the harbor there must have been a couple of thousand Salmon and Sea Trout in there.

If it coarse fish as i said will not bother you and if they do then mention the demarcation line. This is the sort of thing that makes the close season a farce.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Also were is the demarcation line for the Humber estuary. The river might end were you say and officially becomes the Humber.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ben, ring up the E.A (number on rod licence) tell them that coarse anglers are catching and taking salmon!

They'll be there in a flash and you'll find out if it's legal or not?